Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Real wiimote pointer on big tv (repair implementation request)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Motoko

Hello.

I would like to propose new function to Dolphin emulator. And i beg anyone to make it Big Grin

I was really searching and googling this issue last 4 days. Also on this forum.
This is problem, that has the original Wii, so it's not only emulator error.
This is problem in any game.

I know wiimote is NOT a laser pointer, but on small TVs it's just almost as that is.

Wii mote pointer is only reading how much i twist my wrists, but doesn't calculate the size of TV or distance to TV. It's relative to real size of my view.

Calculating position of cursor by location of sensor bar, but doesn't calculate the position (distance) of IR lights, so moving them is useless.
Changing IR LED distance from wiimote, or changing distance between left/right IR light, or change software IR sensitivity, can only change quality of reaction to sensors.

So i am sitting 2-3 meters from 70" TV, but my gun (wiimote) behave like i have 30" TV.
It starts just above sensor bar (or under = depends on settings), and when i start moving up, when pointing in middle of screen, the cursor is on top.
Only one solution now is very bad: Put TV like 10m from me, and sensor any close so it's in range if IR sensor.
But i like to watch cinema like movies and games from 2m, and have feeling like players with small screen.

It's beautiful that i can run games in 4K resolution which original Wii cant do. So maybe its also right to repair wrong Wii pointer.

I think, there can be just one settings input, number to multiply screen size.
And then just some vector+view recalculation of cursor position :-)

Thank You very much
Dolphin is great way to enjoy old games with fresh look !
I was searching for donation on website... not found.

And because You ask for it:

Build: 5.0-14454 x64
System: Windows 10
CPU: i9-9900K
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Super
Motoko Wrote:So i am sitting 2-3 meters from 70" TV, but my gun (wiimote) behave like i have 30" TV.

So this is a Wii limitation. The Wii Remote doesn't know the size or distance of the TV - it can only see the Sensor Bar's IR lights - so the speed of the cursor on the screen was set to what more or less matched typical television sizes and view distances of the time. And 70in televisions were not common in 2006! As this is baked into the SDK that the games are using for Wii Remote control, we can't really dig in and change how the Wii Remote works in this without causing a LOT of problems.

But there is a way you can tweak this on your own. The Wii Remote guesses how close it is to the television based on the distance the sensor bar light clusters are from eachother. So if you really care about this, you can mod your sensor bar. Take it apart, add some wire extensions, and maybe 3D print some brackets for each half, and you can make a sensor bar that will fool the Wii Remote into realizing the screen is bigger!

Motoko

(06-23-2021, 11:28 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]So this is a Wii limitation. The Wii Remote doesn't know the size or distance of the TV - it can only see the Sensor Bar's IR lights - so the speed of the cursor on the screen was set to what more or less matched typical television sizes and view distances of the time. And 70in televisions were not common in 2006! As this is baked into the SDK that the games are using for Wii Remote control, we can't really dig in and change how the Wii Remote works in this without causing a LOT of problems.

But there is a way you can tweak this on your own. The Wii Remote guesses how close it is to the television based on the distance the sensor bar light clusters are from eachother. So if you really care about this, you can mod your sensor bar. Take it apart, add some wire extensions, and maybe 3D print some brackets for each half, and you can make a sensor bar that will fool the Wii Remote into realizing the screen is bigger!

I know it's Wii limitation, and many Wii users asked for Wii firmware update. 

Bad news for me is, that You are saying that changing this in Dolphin "firmware" can cause a lot troubles.

I think it's really not about tweaking anything inside sensors, but working with final coordinates x,y returning from driver function.
i can imagine, that game calls some system function (or listener) for  "Vector2 location = System.getPointerLocation();"     
And the system function calls controller driver. And this system function can recalculate "output from Driver" to "return value to game".  
But i know nothing about programming emulators. I do Java apps and Perl mostly...

About Your tweak. I wanted to do this too, but this article says, that it can only change accuracy of sensor: 
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/myth-busted-length-of-wii-sensor-bar-doesnt-matter.947162/ 
So they say "The Wii Remote guesses how close it is to the television based on the distance the sensor bar light clusters are from each other" is not true. 
They tried two sensor bars with tape on middle sides... without success.

I tried to move closer to IR sensor, or more far away, and the value of "screen moved cursor" is same as "wrist move angle" at any distance. 
I also tried two candles, moving them between me and TV, moving them far away each other and back, moving myself to them and back. And with different sensitivity.
Only reaction was working or not, and cursor precision stability or cursor jumping and shaking.  
So i think, it really don't work. 

But thank You anyway for reply  Wink 

edit: bad english