Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can European Wii output actual 576p?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
PAL GC and Wii consoles are known to be able to output certain modes: The interlaced 50hz (576i) and 60hz (480i, also known as PAL60) and the progressive mode 480p.

I noticed some homebrew game launchers and WiiMC-SS have a 576p option, and read in Wiibrew and GC-forever that mode exists (although that doesn't mean the internal resolution of the game would be 576p, only the output).

But in a wii hacking subreddit discussion about media players I was told Wii is capped at 480p and can't output 576p frames, trying would output 576i. Is he right?

If the console really supports 576p, why wasn't that mode publicly available in the Wii settings?
I have a veeery old memory about messing with Wii output with game launchers (Swiss maybe ?) but I can't remember exactly if I managed to play at 576p but this was an option I was able to select. I remember being able to play GameCube games with Swiss at 240p tho.