Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Mario Kart Double Dash Stuttering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Lumonaut

I've done all the searches, I've looked at dozens of reddit and forum threads, including this forum.

I've tried the stable version, development version, beta version, and Ishiikaru version. Every renderer and API. Async on, shaders compile before starting, ubershaders. I've even tried running it at 1x resolution, same exact issue. All throughout the menus, race intros, and throughout the race, it's like it freezes - no frames dropped, just complete freeze - every few seconds. Audio cuts out too then. I'm at a total loss of what to try after everything I've read.

I do have HD texture pack but even at 480p where it looks terrible it's identical. 1440p it seems to be able to run very high FPS but with stuttering.

Specs: 2070 Super, Ryzen 3700X, 16GB RAM
(06-18-2021, 02:03 AM)Lumonaut Wrote: [ -> ]I've done all the searches, I've looked at dozens of reddit and forum threads, including this forum.

I've tried the stable version, development version, beta version, and Ishiikaru version. Every renderer and API. Async on, shaders compile before starting, ubershaders. I've even tried running it at 1x resolution, same exact issue. All throughout the menus, race intros, and throughout the race, it's like it freezes - no frames dropped, just complete freeze - every few seconds. Audio cuts out too then. I'm at a total loss of what to try after everything I've read.

I do have HD texture pack but even at 480p where it looks terrible it's identical. 1440p it seems to be able to run very high FPS but with stuttering.

Specs: 2070 Super, Ryzen 3700X, 16GB RAM

you need to specify your soft specs  all you've done is specify hard specs.

What are you running on?
I've got Double Dash running on Ubuntu 20.04 and latest mesa drivers, ivy-bridge cpu with HD 4000 igpu smoothly with native resolution on a near decade old laptop plugged to a large TV just like the old Wii and GameCube.  The TV upscales it.

Your hardware should run it without a problem!  It's your software specs that may be miss-configured or corrupted ROM.

Lumonaut

(06-18-2021, 10:53 AM)DanglingPointer Wrote: [ -> ]you need to specify your soft specs  all you've done is specify hard specs.

What are you running on?
I've got Double Dash running on Ubuntu 20.04 and latest mesa drivers, ivy-bridge cpu with HD 4000 igpu smoothly with native resolution on a near decade old laptop plugged to a large TV just like the old Wii and GameCube.  The TV upscales it.

Your hardware should run it without a problem!  It's your software specs that may be miss-configured or corrupted ROM.

Windows 10 Pro, Build 19042.1052. 4x resolution (1440p), but like I said I've tried all the way down to 1x. Nvidia drivers are 466.77. I listed my GPU and CPU, I'm not sure specifically what else I should post so I'll just include attachments of the various settings I have.
I may be the wrong person to help you as I have no MS Windows boxes and only have linux machines and a single mac pro laptop.

- Do any other Wii or GC games work ok?  Is it just Double Dash?

- Right click on the game, look for the "Verify" tab, then verify the integrity of the game.  Perhaps it is a corrupted ROM?

- Alternatively, this may be a bit more challenging, have you tried Linux?  Perhaps dual boot your machine or use an old computer somewhere, old laptop, and install Ubuntu 20.04.  Install latest mesa drivers if it doesn't have nvidia else find appropriate nvidia drivers (all others <amd, intel> use mesa).  Choose Vulkan with async ubershaders.
Under Graphics > Advanced > Utility > uncheck the "Load Custom Textures" and see if that fixes your issue. If it does, re-enable "Load Custom Textures" and enable "Prefetch Custom Textures"

Go to the Nvidia Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings tab > create a profile for Dolphin if one doesn't already exist > set "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" and don't touch any other setting (not good to force enhancements from the driver for Dolphin)

Lumonaut

(06-18-2021, 11:23 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Under Graphics > Advanced > Utility > uncheck the "Load Custom Textures" and see if that fixes your issue. If it does, re-enable "Load Custom Textures" and enable "Prefetch Custom Textures"

Go to the Nvidia Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings tab > create a profile for Dolphin if one doesn't already exist > set "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" and don't touch any other setting (not good to force enhancements from the driver for Dolphin)

Load Custom Textures fixed 95% of the stuttering. I tried so many settings, can't believe I never tried that box before. Thanks!