Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why is it when I dump Frames and Audio it takes so long?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Thegamer696

I never understood this. I have a very powerful PC. I have a RTX 3090, a Ryzen 9 5900x, 32Gb of RAM DDR4 4000Mhz (XMP enabled), and 30TB of storage space. (I know storage space doesn't matter but just throwing it out there. and yes, it's 30TB via virtual memory). I've been playing SoulCalibur 2 with the HD textures and custom buttons, and OBS and Shadowplay are not recording smoothly no matter how many settings I change, drivers I re-install and uninstall, It's insane and I want to give up since I really want to upload my Youtube Videos in 4K but the recordings keep coming out choppy even though in game everything is fine. The only hope I have left is the Dolphin Recording output. What I love about it is that, it records my input even though and if by accident I get lag spikes or FPS drops, it removes it from it's playback. The only problem is that when I go to Dump the frames and the Audio it's super duper SLOW and basically I would have to wait 2-3 hours for dolphin to render my video at that point. Plus, I have to get the video and the separate audio and merge them together in Sony Vegas Pro and who knows how long that will even take to render. How can I speed this process up if there is such a way? All help is appreciated, and thanks nonetheless. I just wish I could dump the Frames and Audio faster at least. Dolphin movie recorder is the only one that seems to be working in terms of kicking out the choppiness that OBS, and Shadowplay brings.
What are your graphics settings? Have you tried recording your monitor rather than the dolphin windows?
The lower resolution you run, the faster dump frames/audio will be. at 3x Internal Resolution, it dumps full speed for me at ~200K bitrate.

I think the biggest blocker with dump frames is actually bandwidth to the harddrive if you're not limited on other aspects. If you are using bulk storage... that may be why it's so slow.

Thegamer696

(06-14-2021, 03:56 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]What are your graphics settings? Have you tried recording your monitor rather than the dolphin windows?

For Dolphin settings:
General
Backend: Vulkan
Adapter: RTX 3090
Aspect Ratio: Stretch to Window
V-sync: ON
Start in Full-screen: ON
ShaderCompilation: Asynchronous Ubershaders
Compile Shaders before starting: ON 

Enhancements
Internal Resolution: 6x Native (3840x3168) for 4K
AA: 2x SSAA
AF: 2x

And yes to answer your question, I've already tried recording my monitor other than the Dolphin Windows.
Here are my attachments too.

[attachment=19690]
[attachment=19691]
[attachment=19692]
[attachment=19693]

Thegamer696

(06-14-2021, 04:01 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]The lower resolution you run, the faster dump frames/audio will be.  at 3x Internal Resolution, it dumps full speed for me at ~200K bitrate.

I think the biggest blocker with dump frames is actually bandwidth to the harddrive if you're not limited on other aspects.  If you are using bulk storage... that may be why it's so slow.

Hmm, I'll actually try that, I really am a stickler on wanting to record in 4K though. When I lower my Internal Resolution though, should I dump at the Internal Resolution and enable lossless codec? or should I just lower the resolution? I noticed if I just lowered the resolution it comes out pixelated, and if I try to upscale it to 4K in Sony Vegas Pro, it still comes out pixelated looking. I'll try to increase bitrate though now that you said that... Since, I haven't took into the account of adjusting bitrate yet. That may be one aspect of the solution.