Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will the Intel NUC 11 Enthusiast run at 4K60?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

lyseoy

I want an SFF box to play GameCube and Wii games in the living room, and this looks like the best fit:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...i7caa.html

Will it be happy to run dolphin at 4K60?

If not, what are the highest settings I could expect from it? Small form factor is a priority for me; I don't want the heft and cost of a tower. My TV is 55", so I might be able to see the difference between 2K and 4K on it, but it would be so subtle, and my eyes aren't 4K anymore anyway.  Cool  So I'd be happy to play in 1080p, but if I could get it up to 4K, that would be a nice bonus!

The NUC has a RTX 2060 GPU integrated in the motherboard, and for comparison, I tested using my Dell XPS 15 9570, which has a GTX 1050. It managed to run at 5X (3200x2640) IR on it with 80% GPU load, so I'm feeling optimistic about the NUC going all the way to 4K.

Besides dolphin, this box will play some videos, run a plex server, and some other light work, and dolphin doesn't use much RAM (?), so I thought I'd just get 8GB of DDR4-3200 1.2V SO-DIMM.

Appreciate any thoughts and comments on this!  Heart
(06-11-2021, 09:16 PM)lyseoy Wrote: [ -> ]I want an SFF box to play GameCube and Wii games in the living room, and this looks like the best fit:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/...i7caa.html

Will it be happy to run dolphin at 4K60?

It should. The CPU is more than enough for any Dolphin game I can think of, and that GPU should handle 4K, or 1080p with SSAA, without issue. (You may find, as I did, that 1080p with 2X or 4X SSAA looks slightly better than 4K without AA.)

Get 16 GB RAM. If you want to run high-resolution texture packs, that will help. You also mention using it as a Plex server, which has low RAM requirements normally... unless you’re transcoding, which can lead to higher RAM usage.