Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Trying to play old Dolphin files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi! For over a year I've been trying to finish a game I've been playing! My old computer died, but I managed to get all the files off of it. However, simply putting the files in "Documents" doesn't work, and I can't seem to find anything that works. Usually, I get a long string of errors that require the program to be closed simply due to their length.

Here are some old threads that did not solve the issue:

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-tr...phin-files

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-is...w-computer

So, from the top, on a new computer, if I wanted to import my old controls, save files, games, settings, and the like, where would I put them on a clean Dolphin install? I have not been able to get anything to work.
Putting the files in Documents should work, as long as you aren't using portable.txt. Can you post the exact error messages you're getting?
(06-02-2021, 04:36 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Putting the files in Documents should work, as long as you aren't using portable.txt. Can you post the exact error messages you're getting?

I tried it today, let's see...

"Failed to write BT.DINF to SYSCONFIG"

"SetupWiiMemory: Can't create settings.txt file."

Then, I get errors like:

"Unable to resolve read address 80004000 PC 0"

and

"Unable to resolve read address 80004004 PC 0"

And the error messages continue to pop up with that value changing for a longggggg timeeeeeeee.
This is usually caused by an anti-virus program blocking Dolphin from writing to the Documents folder. (It thinks Dolphin is maliciously trying to overwrite your personal files without asking you, even though the files are intended to be Dolphin's files rather than personal files...)
(06-04-2021, 03:24 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]This is usually caused by an anti-virus program blocking Dolphin from writing to the Documents folder. (It thinks Dolphin is maliciously trying to overwrite your personal files without asking you, even though the files are intended to be Dolphin's files rather than personal files...)

That's...bizarre. None of my antiviruses are going off or anything. How do I get around it?
If you've copied them from an old PC it may just be that your user account has no rights to read and/or write the files. Dolphin should probably handle this more gracefully, but if that is the case, all you have to do is take ownership of the files and make sure you have full access rights to them in the Security tab when you open the Properties of the Dolphin Emulator folder in your Documents.

Do you need help with this?
It turned out to be neither of these issues. I gave it another go with another clean install, and this time it worked? I'm unsure what the issue was, but it's fixed now. Thanks for your time.