Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Suggestion: Improving the Dolby Pro Logic II decoder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hydra Spectre

Here are some ideas I have to improve Dolphin's Dolby Pro Logic II decoder.
The Dolby Pro Logic II decoder in Dolphin is based on the FreeSurround plugin for foobar2000, which can decode up to 16.1 channels (10.1.6 in Dolby Atmos terms) which would be really great for 3D HRTF in headphones.
And there are also GameCube and Wii games which support Dolby Pro Logic IIx, which is 6.1/7.1, games like Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, Sonic Riders and many Wii games supported Dolby Pro Logic IIx.
If the speaker configuration for FreeSurround can be configured for anything from 2.0 to 16.1, it would be a great upgrade and Dolphin will no longer be locked to 5.1.

There is also a problem that the default LFE configuration for FreeSurround is off, giving weak LFE compared to actual Dolby Pro Logic II.
FreeSurround's lower and upper limits for bass transition are 39Hz and 90Hz, respectively. While Dolby Pro Logic II's lower and upper should be in 100Hz and 120Hz, respectively.
I cannot set FreeSurround's lower limit to 100Hz so I stuck with 101Hz.

If the Dolby Pro Logic II decoder can have its own settings section when enabled giving similar options as to what is in FreeSurround in foobar2000, the DPLII decoder would be much better.