Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: High screen hack (576p) and 50hz for mobile performance.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since pal has a 576i, but Dolphin doesn't need interlacing and it supports 16:9, it could take advantage of it to reach a max of 1024x576 native resolution.
4x upscaling would fit the LG ultrafine 4k (4096x2304) and games decide to take it in advantage or disadvantage.

Now if you have an Samsung Exynos phone, some games don't run very well.
Luckily pal also supports 50hz, so if Dolphin adds that down to the 640x480 resolution, it can skip drawing 1 out of 6 frames to improve performance.

Thank you for reading!
The GameCube and Wii are incapable of rendering at a resolution higher than 640x528. (Not counting the trickery Factor 5 does where they render one frame in two passes to get MSAA.) When you're playing in 16:9, the game isn't rendering with a width of 1024, it's rendering at something like 640 (sometimes slightly less) and then getting stretched.

(05-25-2021, 10:54 AM)kevincrans Wrote: [ -> ]Luckily pal also supports 50hz, so if Dolphin adds that down to the 640x480 resolution, it can skip drawing 1 out of 6 frames to improve performance.

This is already how it works.
(05-25-2021, 05:27 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]The GameCube and Wii are incapable of rendering at a resolution higher than 640x528. (Not counting the trickery Factor 5 does where they render one frame in two passes to get MSAA.) When you're playing in 16:9, the game isn't rendering with a width of 1024, it's rendering at something like 640 (sometimes slightly less) and then getting stretched.

This is already how it works.
Thank u, I didn't knew. Found ntsc wouldn't be a full number and thought 50hz required 20% faster performance.

Can't Dolphin hack 384x576i->768X576p then (and stretch it to 1024 pixels)?

The Wii virtual console supports 288p and gamecube supports 240p and 360p, so Dolphin should add those resolutions.

Gamecube also supports even lower framerates like 25hz and 30hz (right?) and interlacing, so supporting/forcing those would be cool as well to enhance performace.
(05-27-2021, 06:19 PM)kevincrans Wrote: [ -> ]Can't Dolphin hack 384x576i->768X576p then (and stretch it to 1024 pixels)?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Dolphin renders at the resolution the original console renders at (assuming the internal resolution is set to Native), and then stretches the output to get the correct aspect ratio.

(05-27-2021, 06:19 PM)kevincrans Wrote: [ -> ]The Wii virtual console supports 288p and gamecube supports 240p and 360p, so Dolphin should add those resolutions.

Gamecube also supports even lower framerates like 25hz and 30hz (right?) and interlacing, so supporting/forcing those would be cool as well to enhance performace.

Dolphin already renders at the resolution and framerate used on the original console. (Interlacing isn't supported by Dolphin, but that wouldn't gain you any performance.) Trying to apply lower resolutions and framerates than a game used on the original console is generally not possible without lots of stuff breaking, so Dolphin does not support that.
(05-27-2021, 06:50 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Dolphin renders at the resolution the original console renders at (assuming the internal resolution is set to Native), and then stretches the output to get the correct aspect ratio.

Dolphin already renders at the resolution and framerate used on the original console. (Interlacing isn't supported by Dolphin, but that wouldn't gain you any performance.) Trying to apply lower resolutions and framerates than a game used on the original console is generally not possible without lots of stuff breaking, so Dolphin does not support that.

The Gamecube native resolutions are 576i, 240p, 360p (Gameboy player) and 480p (I think no GC game makes use of 288p, which is the native resolution of wii Virtual Console).

I don't know if 25hz and 30hz are gamecube native or downscaled refreshrates.

So there is nothing unnative about Pal 576i and the others, unless you are going to force it and render the lines between the interlacing.
If you're trying to make a point (do you want some particular change to be made in Dolphin?), please clarify what that point is, because I don't really understand where you're trying to lead the discussion.

(05-30-2021, 02:01 AM)kevincrans Wrote: [ -> ]The Gamecube native resolutions are 576i, 240p, 360p (Gameboy player) and 480p (I think no GC game makes use of 288p, which is the native resolution of wii Virtual Console).

Please keep in mind that the resolution the graphics are rendered at is separate from the line count used at scanout and whether interlacing is used at scanout. I'm not sure which of the two you're referring to here.

(05-30-2021, 02:01 AM)kevincrans Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if 25hz and 30hz are gamecube native or downscaled refreshrates.

A GameCube can render at any refresh rate. Though, if you try to scan out a frame rate which 60 or 59.94 is not an integer multiple of, you will either get uneven frame pacing or most TVs won't be able to display the picture correctly.

(05-30-2021, 02:01 AM)kevincrans Wrote: [ -> ]So there is nothing unnative about Pal 576i and the others

Yes, there is nothing "unnative" about PAL games which use the 576i scanout mode.

(05-30-2021, 02:01 AM)kevincrans Wrote: [ -> ]unless you are going to force it and render the lines between the interlacing.

Essentially all GameCube games (maybe actually all GameCube games?) which output interlaced video do render "the lines between the interlacing" when you run them on a real GameCube. While the number of lines that are scanned out is half the number of lines that get rendered, the extra lines aren't simply discarded – they're typically used as input to a deflicker filter.