Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help a New Comer out please!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

ghostofsparta117

Hello, just recently downloaded Dolphin. Reliving some childhood classis. I beat Metroid Prime 1 mostly ok and stable but MP2 Echoes has been an issue. the game runs ok sometimes but frames keep dropping constantly. Treat me like i know nothing. Im using a MacBook Pro stock, i have made no modifications. Is there any software or programs that i need to download to make Dolphin better?

This is my current Specs.

macOS Big Sur (Ver. 11.3.1)
MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2014
Processor- 2.2 Ghz Quad-core Intel Core I7
Memory- 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

I run the Vulkan backend with Intel Iris Pro Graphics as the Adapter

Also should i change any of the settings in the Configurations?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Computer is pretty old. I would recommend trying to run on Windows via bootcamp.

ghostofsparta117

(05-16-2021, 06:52 AM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]Computer is pretty old. I would recommend trying to run on Windows via bootcamp.

Thanks for the tip but not interested in changing the OS. For example MP1 ran well for the whole game mostly 60 fps at 720p but MP2 Echoes at Native has been really spotty at best. Ive been tweaking the settings to see if anything helps with little success. Any advice along those lines?
If it lags with the default settings (other than switching to Vulkan), I don't think there's much you can do other than switching operating systems.

ghostofsparta117

(05-16-2021, 06:59 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If it lags with the default settings (other than switching to Vulkan), I don't think there's much you can do other than switching operating systems.

I have been using Vulkan and Intel Iris Pro Graphics as the Adapter.  I did try the OpenGL but it was much worse.  There are no other options given besides Software Renderer and Null which idk what those even do.  

is there any other programs im supposed to use in condition with Dolphin? Like what's that C++ thing it tells you to add when you download either a beta or dev build of Dolphin?
(05-17-2021, 06:08 AM)ghostofsparta117 Wrote: [ -> ]Like what's that C++ thing it tells you to add when you download either a beta or dev build of Dolphin?

It's only for Windows. If Dolphin runs at all for you then you don't need it.

ghostofsparta117

(05-17-2021, 06:56 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]It's only for Windows. If Dolphin runs at all for you then you don't need it.

Thanks for the help! So my last question is that even if i switch the OS to Windows on my MacBook. Will that even really help much at all? Id still be having the same specs right?
Same specs, but macOS has worse GPU drivers than Windows/Linux. Either you're using a deprecated version of OpenGL that doesn't support all of the features that Dolphin uses, or you're using a Vulkan > Metal wrapper since macOS doesn't have native Vulkan support. On Windows you also get D3D 11/12.

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2019/05/07/...date-macos
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2018/12/04/...-mayimilae - I think this still hasn't been solved? I haven't seen any updates on it in a while