Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I want to get Bluetooth Passthrough working on macOS! What do I need to do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When Bluetooth passthrough was first added to Dolphin all the way back in 2016, the announcement contained a somewhat cryptic bit of information for Mac users:

Quote:As of 10.9, MacOS does not allow us to take control of a Bluetooth Adapter, and thus this feature will not work on MacOS. It may be possible to make a codeless kext to allow taking over Bluetooth adapters, but it would need to be customized for each adapter, which would make it very complex. Advanced users should be able to make it work on an adapter by adapter basis.

I consider myself an advanced user, and I'm on an old version of macOS that has no trouble loading custom kernel extensions. Would it be possible to get some more details as to what I need to do? A nudge in the right direction at least?

As an aside, I thought simply unloading OS X's built-in Bluetooth kext might work, as it does with VirtualHere (allowing a remote machine to take control of my Mac's Bluetooth adapter).

Code:
sudo /sbin/kextunload -b com.apple.iokit.BroadcomBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport

But this apparently isn't sufficient—Dolphin still says that it "could not find any usable adapter for Bluetooth passthrough."