Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin won't load any savestates anymore
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

baconbit

After updating Dolphin today, I could no longer load my savestate for The Sims 2. I understand that new versions break older save states, but reverting back to the version I used at the time of saving isn't working either. Dolphin displays the following message:

[Image: TIkVcI7.png]

I'm also aware that using game saves is better than states. I read somewhere that the saves for this game become corrupted so I've been reluctantly using states instead.
Change the MMU setting in Config > Advanced.
While this isn't related to the MMU issue you encountered, relying on savestates to preserve your progression is not wise. Any update to Dolphin's core emulation can break compatibility with older savestates. We strongly recommend not relying on save states for preserving your progress, especially if you are using Dolphin's updater. You can still use save states on the side, but expect them to poof eventually.

In the case of this game being unstable, I'd suggest using the game's built in saving but backing up the save files after every session so you can roll back if the game corrupts them. After each play session, right click the game in the game list and click "Open Wii Save Folder" and you'll be taken to the folder with the save data's files. Just make a folder with a unique number or a date+time (the backup folder can be in the save data's folder, it's fine, the game can't read subfolders) and put a copy the save files into it. Do that after every play session and if the game corrupts your save, you'll have backups ready to go.

baconbit

(04-30-2021, 02:34 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Change the MMU setting in Config > Advanced.

Thank you for the brisk answer! This fixed my issue.

(04-30-2021, 08:31 AM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]While this isn't related to the MMU issue you encountered, relying on savestates to preserve your progression is not wise. Any update to Dolphin's core emulation can break compatibility with older savestates. We strongly recommend not relying on save states for preserving your progress, especially if you are using Dolphin's updater. You can still use save states on the side, but expect them to poof eventually.

In the case of this game being unstable, I'd suggest using the game's built in saving but backing up the save files after every session so you can roll back if the game corrupts them. After each play session, right click the game in the game list and click "Open Wii Save Folder" and you'll be taken to the folder with the save data's files. Just make a folder with a unique number or a date+time (the backup folder can be in the save data's folder, it's fine, the game can't read subfolders) and put a copy the save files into it. Do that after every play session and if the game corrupts your save, you'll have backups ready to go.
Thank you for the tip, I will certainly do this. Although I did read about the supposed corruption quite a while ago, I seem to remember that it occurs inevitably at a set point in the campaign, so after that I might have no option but to use states until the dreaded poof. Sad