Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Zelda Wind waker slow downs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Naw

Okay I did a lot of searching through the forum before deciding to make a thread and have tried many suggestions in other threads that haven't worked.

Basically when opening Zelda in the emulator I can load up the game fine but once I'm in game it runs incredibly slowly, the strange thing is the fps remains steady at between 20-25fps but its the actual game that runs slow, including the music.

I've tried fiddling around with alot of the graphic settings but there are so many which I have no idea what they are, and some things I've tried have just made it worse. Sad

Anyone know of a solution to this? Help would be gratefully appreciated Smile

(p.s. I'm using version 4525)
The game itself runs at 30fps, but you say it's going slower than it should. Wind Waker is one of the more stressful GC games, what are your PC specs? Operating system? Are you using 64bit? And what's your config?

Naw

Thanks for your response

My spec is

AMD phenom X3 tri-core 2.1ghz
4GB DDR-2
Geforce GTX 260
Windows 7 64 bit

So yeh I'm using 64 bit, and sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by config?
(12-31-2009, 09:23 AM)Naw Wrote: [ -> ]So yeh I'm using 64 bit, and sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by config?

he means youre emulator settings,which plugins you use, just make a screenshot and post it as an attachment
Sounds like the limiting factor here is your CPU I'd say. First of all, the Phenom I series was notorious for being slower than other processors, an issue fixed in the Phenom II. Secondly, your clock speed is rather slow. See if you can overclock if that's possible at all. My PC is in my sig and I still get some minor slowdown that requires some frameskipping. My GPU might be limiting me there though... At any rate, I think it's your CPU.

Naw

(12-31-2009, 09:28 AM)Granville Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like the limiting factor here is your CPU I'd say. First of all, the Phenom I series was notorious for being slower than other processors, an issue fixed in the Phenom II. Secondly, your clock speed is rather slow. See if you can overclock if that's possible at all. My PC is in my sig and I still get some minor slowdown that requires some frameskipping. My GPU might be limiting me there though... At any rate, I think it's your CPU.

I'm not a massive tech head but my computer generally works okay on all games and I havnt had a problem with my processor on any other games (farcry2, modern warfare 2, fallout 3 all work fine in top settings).

Is it possible there's another reason or is it something to do with because its a emulation it demands more of the cpu?
games like Zelda WW needs a very good cpu thats all i know if youre settings arent wrong and you have the latest version----> cant help you than...
but with my specs i get around 25-30 fps mostly so its more than playable^^

Naw

If I uploaded pics of all my settings would you be able to tell me whether theres something wrong there?

there we are:

[attachment=2043]
Emulating Dolphin is by far a more stressful task than playing almost any game native to pc. Like i said, 2.1ghz isn't usually going to cut it. As it is, switch to the Direct3D plugin, it's FAR faster, and it's coming along amazingly well nowadays. When you get it, check the option to Copy EFB to Texture in most games. That will have a huge speed increase and will work with most games well enough.

Also, try lowering the filters and resolution to see if you get a speed increase. Maybe not though, a good GPU won't play much difference at 1080p than 480i. I myself am GPU limited. But I dunno if my speed would improve by upgrading that. I can play a lot of games full-ish speed on my rig, but with some minor slowdown. Not sure if it's my CPU or lack of memory/graphics power.