Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why does updates break save states
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Just updated dolphin as it prompted me, but why cant you load save states from the previous version.

Problem I have is a random bug happened while playing Star Fox when I tried to manually save, it said this save if from a different game and cant be saved, so I continued playing but relied on using the save state feature, which now means my progress is lost, unless im able to revert back?
Someone might have more info or correction but for the most part, save state work like hibernation does for windows it save the state of the emulator then allows you to resume it. When you update dolphin there a chance that a change made in dolphin change something that broke the save state you made in the older build. Similar to changing hardware(changing ram amounts for example) usually cause hibernation to fail. The issue you have with in game save are also from using save states since some game look at the memory card id and save. You only options are to go back to the older build of dolphin your where using are to just load you last in game save and lost any progress you made from the that to your save state.
i may have a solution or possibly a new cheat code.

i found an address that allows you to trigger parts of the game with an activator.

for example i can revert back to the very beginning of dinosaur planet when fox first lands, when he has collected the staff and confronts the enemies outside where the queen is, then after that battle, then after speaking to her and she makes the dinosaur blocking the way to the stone statue, then after getting tricky and warp to the stone statue.

this code often triggers cut scenes, or you just see changes apply in game.

this game is a bit tricky using the cheat find option but if the devs could add a real time memory viewer, i think i could perfect this code, maybe using the in game cheat i could maybe improve and include progress per chapter.

or maybe allow you to skip the tricky race part if i can find unlock tricky moves, i did have it but it also messed with krazoa and time played.

i think i have managed to find and unlock all items, which is where its tricky, can be same address but different bit range and multiple values can give different results.

so i might try blind find the values to jump to certain points in the game without having to play.

this in should set you back to the begining when fox first lands on dinosaur planet
(press Z+B)
0a33b052 00000210
003a4a7b 0000000f

sharpclaw battle outside queen room (z+b)
0a33b052 00000210
003a4a7d 0000000f

unlocks tricky (press z+b)
0a33b052 00000210
003a4a7e 0000000f

warp stone (press z+b)
0a33b052 00000210
023a4a7e 000c8000

im sure i can perfect it if the emu had a realtime memory editor so i can see whats happening at the address.