Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: CPU Upgrade Performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi again,

I seen that Intel now has released another generation of Xeon CPUs (the W-1200 series), and I'm wondering if it would be worth upgrading my current E-2176G for Dolphin. The GPU in my system is an Gigabyte GTX 1650 4GB. Here is the comparison of the specs from my current CPU to the new one I was looking at:

Current:
Xeon E-2176G (basically an i7-8700K with ECC support and without overclocking)
6 cores / 12 threads
4.3Ghz all core turbo up to 4.7Ghz single core - The cores mostly run around 4.4Ghz with Dolphin running.
80W TDP

New:
Xeon W-1290P (basically equivalent to an i9-10900K without overclocking)
10 cores / 20 threads
4.9Ghz turbo up to 5.3Ghz
125W TDP

Also, is there a good test to see if my system can handle emulating any game (like the most demanding game that I can try to run)? I have Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 but wasn't sure if there was anything more demanding.
Thanks in advance!
Well if you're just looking at it from a Dolphin perspective, then it's probably not worth it. If you need those extra threads for other things not related to Dolphin, then you'd had to see if the cost of upgrading your components is worth it for you.

If you look at the unofficial benchmark for Dolphin, the i7-8700K and the i9-10900k are basically equivalent, within a few second of each other. https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ted--45007

You just get to a point where the 6th gen to 10th gen Intel CPUs are all using the same core technology, getting slight bumps to something each generation to make them slightly faster or more cores. Both of the CPUs you're looking at are great for Dolphin and you won't notice a difference between them. The only games you might not get full speed out of are the ones that need Full MMU emulation [url]https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2018/07/21/myth-debugging-wii-more-demanding-emulate-gamecube/#ram-watch-gamecube-aram-vs-wii-mem2{/url]

The Intel 11th gen CPUs finally have a new microarchitechure ported back from the 10nm node to the 14nm node, so it should have bigger increase in single core speeds, but they're not out yet. Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs are great with high core count and almost as good single core speeds as Intel CPUs