Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 90%
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My secondary PC is running games at 90% (Putting it into my new games room)
I think it is powerful enough to run Dolphin, but I'm not very computer savvy.
The one thing I'm thinking of doing is upgrading from 8 gb ram (1333mhz) to 16 gb (1333mhz). Will this help?
Is there anything I need to adjust? I've tried Opengl, Direct 3d 11 and 12 and also played around with Compile shaders before starting. TIA

My specs
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition            
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home    
Premium 64-bit                                  
Motherboard: Gigabyte 880GM-USB3              
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x 4GB)                  
Hard Drives: 500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s                  
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA                  
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB  
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio                      
Case: Xigmatek Asgard                              
PSU: 400W Xigmatek                
Oh and I have added an SSD drive as the main.                  
I used that CPU over 10 years ago, I don't recall it working too well (it's sitting behind me right now XD). Upgrading your RAM will not help at all either.
(03-07-2021, 11:18 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]I used that CPU over 10 years ago, I don't recall it working too well (it's sitting behind me right now XD). Upgrading your RAM will not help at all either.

Wow! Is it that old?
(03-08-2021, 11:30 AM)Wunderbear Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! Is it that old?

I don't usually reply to questions about system specs, as I feel there is no correct answer - just personal opinions on what works best when customized by an individual to their needs. But........

Amazon reports that they first had your CPU available for purchase on Sept 14, 2004. It's actually 1 year younger than Dolphin itself..... almost to the day.

Your graphics card is outdated as well and possibly won't support a lot of the functions in Dolphin to the fullest.
I used to run a GTX 550 Ti when I first started seriously using Dolphin back in 2012, all the way up until 2019. Good for 2x to 3x IR in most games. It'll do, just don't expect much above the 1080p range. Case in point, I remember Xenoblade Chronicles struggled with my 550 Ti at 3x IR. Obviously, there's no Vulkan support, but OpenGL on Nvidia has always been pretty solid in my experience.
(03-08-2021, 11:53 AM)ShadowMyst Wrote: [ -> ]I don't usually reply to questions about system specs, as I feel there is no correct answer - just personal opinions on what works best when customized by an individual to their needs. But........

Amazon reports that they first had your CPU available for purchase on Sept 14, 2004. It's actually 1 year younger than Dolphin itself..... almost to the day.

Your graphics card is outdated as well and possibly won't support a lot of the functions in Dolphin to the fullest.
Good job it's my secondary pc. Guess I'll just use my main.
(03-08-2021, 02:58 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]I used to run a GTX 550 Ti when I first started seriously using Dolphin back in 2012, all the way up until 2019. Good for 2x to 3x IR in most games. It'll do, just don't expect much above the 1080p range. Case in point, I remember Xenoblade Chronicles struggled with my 550 Ti at 3x IR. Obviously, there's no Vulkan support, but OpenGL on Nvidia has always been pretty solid in my experience.

I'm fine with native resolution. Mostly lightgun games I'll be using. I have my main pc for better stuff.
If you really wanted to play Dolphin on that PC, and you have a good network connection you could use something like Steam In Home Streaming from your main PC
(03-09-2021, 02:41 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]If you really wanted to play Dolphin on that PC, and you have a good network connection you could use something like Steam In Home Streaming from your main PC

I'll look into that thanks!
https://www.techpowerup.com/cpu-specs/ph...5-95w.c746

Looks like that CPU is 12 years old as was mentioned earlier. If you are desperate to have dolphin run on that PC, you could do an overclock I suppose, but probably better off using the other machine. Make sure both are hardwired to reduce latency!
Pages: 1 2