Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: 24 FPS lock only at 100% emulation speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

kipafiras@gmail.com

So I'm having an odd problem. I recently changed up hard drives and reinstalled my Windows 10 box and ported over my Dolphin folder. Before (on my old spin disk) I was running at 30/60 FPS reliably with occasional hiccups due to my spin disk hybrid sucking horribly. I've gotten a new Samsung SSD now, and hey, no more hiccups! But a newer, odder problem has arose: Dolphin seems to cap itself to 24FPS (and sometimes VPS) ONLY at 100% emulation speed.

For example, I load up Skies of Arcadia Legends. It fires up 24 FPS and 24 VPS. I change emulation speed limit to 110%, flawless 33FPS/VPS.

I boot up Paper Mario TTYD. 24 FPS/60 VPS. Move like molasses in town. 110% emulation speed, 66 FPS/VPS, no stutter or hiccups.

What is happening here? It's clear my computer can handle this, and it's not a percentile reduction since Paper Mario (a 60 FPS game) and SOAL (30 fps game) both run at the same odd 24 FPS limit. Could I have possibly made a setting that is setting some kind of hard cap for my FPS that the max speed option overrides?

Other Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU
NVidia GeForce 1660 6 GB RAM
16 GB DDR4 RAM

I'm *fairly* confident the new SSD isn't the point of failure here. It doesn't have similar problems on other emulators or programs, the issue seems to be unique to Dolphin.

I can dump screenshots of my emulator settings here if needed/requested.
My best guess is that it has something to do with vsync. (Dolphin automatically turns vsync off when the emulation speed isn't set to 100% if I recall correctly.)

kipafiras@gmail.com

(03-07-2021, 09:01 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]My best guess is that it has something to do with vsync. (Dolphin automatically turns vsync off when the emulation speed isn't set to 100% if I recall correctly.)

That was it exactly!  I disabled V-Sync and Skies of Arcadia immediately loaded up to 30 FPS.  Thank you for the fast reply!