Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Metal Gear Solid : Twin Snakes makes Dolphin 5.0 crash when using thermal goggles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm using Dolphin 5 on my Intel PC (Intel HD Graphics 4000, 16 GB RAM, 3.0Ghz processor) and it's going fine with most games so far, some of them required just some options to run games at native resolution properly on 30 fps, same goes for MGS : Twin Snakes which goes smoothly all the time (even at 60fps sometimes), but it suddenly crashes in certain moments, exactly when I use the thermal goggles. It happened the first time during the intro cutscene of the game, but I thought it was just because of too many programs running at the same time, but after that happened right after picking the thermal goggles from the inventory (they should change the view of the game totally) I realized it's something about graphics, not just a random bug.
I guess it's because some sort of different shader or visualization style, I don't know, which option in the graphics setting should I enable or disable to make it go ? I cannot take a screen of the error message because I didn't save when it happened, but I remember it was something like vertex or stuff like that. Undecided
Any clue ?
Well you can try a few things. First of all if your using the stable it recommended that you use the current beta/dev builds. With that try to see if you iso is good by verifying it in the game properties. Making sure you graphic driver are updated wouldn't hurt either. You can also try different backends. If that don't work then you post you setting like grapic pages and the error message would allow us to help better.
Does the same thing happen in the latest beta version of dolphin?

Edit: ninja'd
(03-06-2021, 06:58 AM)themaster123 Wrote: [ -> ]Well you can try a few things. First of all if your using the stable it recommended that you use the current beta/dev builds.  With that try to see if you iso is good by verifying it in the game properties. Making sure you graphic driver are updated wouldn't hurt either. You can also try different backends. If that don't work then you post you setting like grapic pages and the error message would allow us to help better.

graphics driver are ok, the version of Dolphin is 5.0-12716 , but I've tried previous releases as well (it has no sound on 4.0, couldn't try 3.5 because I had to restart and it takes a lot before getting those goggles, save states aren't retrocompatible between 5.0 and 3.5 so it seems). I'll may try the new one (one month ago instead of 5 months ago) and see what happens...
the game properties, I don't know, 3.5 version gives me bad image error (but loads it anyway), 5.0 and 4.0 say nothing about it.
this is the image error: last time I tried it didn't freeze or forced me to use task manager, but the screen went strangely blurry

https://ibb.co/PDkwksz
[Image: mgswtf.jpg]

What the error the verify shows. Have you try open gl also.
(03-06-2021, 09:45 AM)themaster123 Wrote: [ -> ]What the error the verify shows. Have you try open gl also.

openGl doesn't work
can I ask if you're a coder involved in the project ?
Ok, no problem, I've tried with 4.0 and it seems to go fine, even better than 5.0
I just hope it'll be ok when I'll meet Vulcan Raven, as I've read there's a bug on there too...
that error happens if you have windows 7 and you use dx11, the solution is to install windows 8.1 or 10. or use dolphin ishiruka.
(03-06-2021, 01:45 PM)nonexist Wrote: [ -> ]that error happens if you have windows 7 and you use dx11, the solution is to install windows 8.1 or 10. or use dolphin ishiruka.

well, honestly, that sounds as absurd as being forced to install Linux just to run the latest version of MyPaint.
I cannot change a whole OS just to run a single program that's made exclusively for it... too much of a pain.
I'm fine with 4.0 with this game, as I said before. problem solved, actually... (until newer ones appear, of course).
I'm not a coder, just a person who use dolphin since the 3.0-3.5 days(so around 9 years) and is knowable about pc hardware\software, but I was aware that it was possible of a limited direct 11 since some feature in 8 or 10(I don't remember which) never where backported to 7. Which is why I mention opengl. I would have mention vulken but I knew your intel hd 4000 didn't support that. If this was a desktop that had room adding a modern graphic card would allow vulken or maybe opengl and that could have be a solution. To be fair windows 7 is out of support and you would be better off with windows 10 out of security anyways. If 4.0 work for you it fine but any issues you have wouldn't have support on the board though since it is so outdated in software.
Pages: 1 2