Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Playing Online with 5.0?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

blu

I originally found and installed Dolphin back in June 2020 after finding it when I installed Linux for the first time. I installed the version in the repository which was and still is version 5.0.

I recently discovered that people are playing Mario Kart Wii online and I'd like to play too (it's my favorite game ever). I don't want to modify or hack my Wii console so I'd prefer to just play on my computer.

My question is this: Is it possible to play online with Dolphin 5.0? I found ways to play online, but I didn't want to waste time trying that stuff if it isn't even possible with 5.0. As it is, I took some time off from playing in July and just started again recently. So I'm still trying to figure out how Dolphin works exactly.
If you're playing a game that doesn't require Wii Remotes, then you can use Dolphin's netplay feature in 5.0, but only with other players who are also using 5.0. I would recommend a newer version of Dolphin, though.

(Wiimmfi with Mario Kart Wii does not work in 5.0, for what it's worth. But you can't use that without hacking a real Wii anyway.)

blu

(02-09-2021, 06:53 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If you're playing a game that doesn't require Wii Remotes, then you can use Dolphin's netplay feature in 5.0, but only with other players who are also using 5.0. I would recommend a newer version of Dolphin, though.

(Wiimmfi with Mario Kart Wii does not work in 5.0, for what it's worth. But you can't use that without hacking a real Wii anyway.)
Ok. I think I understand. So what versions of Dolphin do work with Wiimmfi and Mario Kart Wii?

I'm running Linux Mint, which I believe is based on Ubuntu. So it looks like I could just add the PPA, I guess. I'll have to check that out, I'm still fairly new to Linux. The last thing I want to do is have to build from source code - way beyond my skill level.

I guess I could use my cousin's Wii to dump the NAND as he doesn't use it anymore.

So how big is the online community for Mario Kart Wii? Are there a lot of people playing 24/7?

Thanks for the help. Smile
(02-11-2021, 03:11 AM)blu Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. I think I understand. So what versions of Dolphin do work with Wiimmfi and Mario Kart Wii?

I don't remember the exact version required, but as long as it's not more than a few months old it's probably fine.

(02-11-2021, 03:11 AM)blu Wrote: [ -> ]So how big is the online community for Mario Kart Wii? Are there a lot of people playing 24/7?

Enough people that you'll be able to find a game when you want to. You can look at the current online count here: https://wiimmfi.de/stats/game