Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Buying prebuilt PC any of these PC specs good?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I wasn't so sure if this was posted or not so I'm going to post it again sorry if its against the rules. I'm buying a prebuilt PC for Dolphin gaming and other gaming as well. Not just for emulation. I was wondering if I could run games like Twilight Princess "GCN" Wind Waker "GCN" Twilight Princess "Wii" and games with HD/4k mods etc if I add a graphics card later since the prebuilt PC has integrated graphics. I am hoping someone can help me out with my problem. I can't decide which PC to get because I'm under a budget so was hoping I can play some Wii and GameCube games with texture mods/packs, etc. Here are the choices. I was hoping they could run. Thanks for the info. Ones an 4th generation i7 and ones an i5 6th generation. I havent seen any videos on Dolphin being played on the i7 but I've seen gameplay with Dolphin on the 6500. Since its a 5th gen I was wondering if it'll run better and smoother. Or would the i7 be my best choice? I can always upgrade graphics cards later. So I am hoping someone would give me advice. If I double posted. Sorry. Huh

Processor : Intel 4th Generation Core i7-4770 @ 3.40GHz
16gb RAM
2TB HDD
Win10 Home/Pro

Another one

Intel Core i5 6th Gen. i5-6500 3.20GHz 4 (Quad-Core)
Integrated/On-Board Graphics Integrated Intel HD Graphics 530
1x PCI Express x4, 1x PCI Express x16 Expansion Slots Half Height
1TB HDD
32GB
Win10 Pro
I'm assuming this are used prebuilt as those are relatively older parts. Those cpus are likely to be close in performance for dolphin. The i7 peak at 3.9 over the i5 3.6 but the i5 having a faster ipc might balance it out. The extra thread hyper threading would give the i7 wouldn't get use by dolphin either. The i5 onboard intel hd graphic 530 would be faster assuming both have there memory in dual channel, however the intel hd 4600 is also able to run a decent amount of games without problems. That said the in the i5 specs you mention a half height slot which I would guess is a small form factor computer that has a limit on the height of a card. This would make getting a decent graphic card harder later down the road if true. For modern game and emulators like cemu/RPCS3 though the i7 would be better if any of those are of interest.
Posting a budget also might help to see if anyone has any suggestion that might be better also.
As themaster123 suggested, i would go for i5 6500 as its 2 years newer, has smaller lithography, propably better ipc. Also better ram and igpu if you stay with builtin graphics. Anyway, for full usage of cpu it better to pair with dedicated card.
I never suggested the i5 6500 per say, I only mention that the i5 would be similar to the i7 for dolphin in performence but have better integrated graphics then the i7. I also point out the i7 would be better for modern game or emulator like cemu\rpcs3 with add in graphic card since though might be something he might what to do some day and in those case the extra thread from ht would help.