Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: .NKIT.ISOs Hard-Lock Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

BigOtaku2118

So, I ripped all of my stuff onto an old Flash Drive I just found and decided to try the stuff on the newest Dolphin emulator. Setting it up, I even bought a USB Sensor Bar and a USB Gamecube Controller to play better and more 'authentically'. I have all of my stuff in one folder. I set up Dolphin and went to play it, and the program recognizes all of the Gamecube games and even has the images for the games. However, every one of the Wii games doesn't have an image on the initial screen (see screenshot) and when I load some of them, Dolphin locks up. I can't close anything via the X in the corner and it does nothing in these lock-ups; I have to go to Task Manager and hard-crash it that way. Most of the Wii files are recognized, but for some reason, files ending with '.nkit.iso' don't load up and cause the aforementioned lock-up. What can I do to fix this?
NOTE: It's the .wbfs Wii files that work.
So we recently talked about nkit on the blog HERE. I'll quote the relevant bit.

Progress Report Wrote:Unfortunately, as great as NKit is for long-term storage, it tends to be just as problematic for emulation. NKit actually shifts file locations around on the disc, moving them to earlier in the file, which would be toward the inside of a disc. This normally wouldn't seem like a problem, but Dolphins emulates CAV, and moving files toward the inside of the disc means that less data is read per rotation. The end result is that loadtimes are sometimes increased by 10 to even 20%! Different loadtimes means that features like netplay won't work between NKit discs and dumps that don't modify file locations.

But, beyond those minor gripes, NKit has another problem that makes it much more problematic: some games just really hate it. We are aware of at least two games that simply crash in the NKit format. One unavoidable crash is present in Super Paper Mario and we've already seen dozens of users confused as to what is going wrong. Namco Museum (specifically the Galaga Arrangement) also crashes, but that crash can be prevented by converting to Nkit with safer settings.

Regardless of these problems, when used as a long-term storage format that isn't going to be used with Dolphin, NKit is fantastic. However, if you want a compressed format to use in Dolphin, use RVZ. When used on a game by game basis, both NKit and RVZ will result in very similar file sizes for losslessly compressed discs.

Basically, Nkit isn't a good choice for storing games that you want to be able to use in Dolphin. It's still fine for cold storage, but you'll need to restore them to a less weird format before using them.

BigOtaku2118

(01-27-2021, 03:30 PM)MayImilae Wrote: [ -> ]So we recently talked about nkit on the blog HERE. I'll quote the relevant bit.

Basically, Nkit isn't a good choice for storing games that you want to be able to use in Dolphin. It's still fine for cold storage, but you'll need to restore them to a less weird format before using them.

So, how would I change the format without screwing up the file?
(01-27-2021, 05:22 PM)BigOtaku2118 Wrote: [ -> ]So, how would I change the format without screwing up the file?

Use the same program you used to convert the file to the NKit format in the first place.

BigOtaku2118

(01-27-2021, 06:41 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Use the same program you used to convert the file to the NKit format in the first place.

So, I downloaded the NKit program once again. So, I extracted everything from Rune Factory: Tides Of Destiny into a folder, so how do I put everything into a .iso format with NKit? Anybody know how? I have this stuff (see screenshot) when it's been extracted, and I don't know what to do next...
Why you extracted the ISO? The NKIT processing app can restore NKIT to plain ISO format directly...