Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can I run dolphin 5 on HP laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Irieth

I would like to know if I can run dolphin 5.0-13178 at 720p / 1080p? It would be for mario games, just dance,luigis mansion and some other children's game

15.6 ″ FHD (1920 x 1080) display
2-core i3-1005G1 processor.
8 GB DDR4-2666 RAM memory.
256 GB SSD disk.
Graphics Intel UHD Graphics (Integrated)
https://support.hp.com/pr-es/document/c06550544
On paper it should be fine if it run near it max boost at not near it 1.2 base. That said without looking at the exact laptop it going to be hard to for someone to say with any more certainty. Since it a low power part it might not be able to keep constant performance. As those parts can have power\thermal limits.
Maybe full speed at 1x (native resolution) but at 720p you will have lag in heavy games and at 1080p I don't think they will run at playable speed.

The problem is the integrated graphics of the processor that is why I would recommend a laptop with a Ryzen processor since its integrated graphics (vega) are much better and you will have more possibility to play at 3x resolution easily And you can also use other emulators like cemu (wii u emulator).
I also agree in theory it should emulate lightweight games (not sure mario games are lightweight..) and its GPU is G1 so another improvement over UHD 630 etc.. So graphics should be okay for 2x. But i would be concerned about cooling system. Dolphin is heavy on CPU and i would be afraid about thermal throotling, clock would go down heavily since its minimum 1.2Ghz. On another hand its new architecture in 10 nm and has single score pass mark 2,300 at 1,2 Ghz https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThrea...top-thread   Is thaa reel???
I doubt it at 1.2 as it can turbo up to 3.4 for the single thread passmark score and if it similar to my i5 8265u it as no problem getting to that clock speed in single thread(it 3.9 not 3.4 on the i5 but it should be similar) with no gpu load. That said I have a i5 8265u laptop with integrated I was able to play super mario sunshine at 3x with only minor slowdown to 28 fps. It worth noticing though the cpu clock speed drop to around 2.5 ghz at 3x though. If it was as native it over 3 ghz usually. This is the biggest limited of cpu with around 15 watt . Heavy use of the integrated gpu tend to drop the clock speed more then if it was a 35-45 tdp cpu and this tends to be the limit for performance in my experience with this laptop it even worst with the mx 150 in play more than a minute going below 2 ghz sometimes. An similar amd 15 watt cpu would still have this limit and while it gpu generally faster then intel's it isn't likely going to make a difference because of the clock speed hit in some games. . Cemu on the i5 is also even with the mx 150 most cpu limited due to clock speed hit.

For any one who might what to say something about the minor slowdown, yes aysnc ubershader and compile shader before start is enabled on the laptop and for anyone who might comment about using high performance the laptop installation after driver installation it doesn't have that high performence or power saver only balanced profile. I don't know why asus did this there with there drivers though