Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Newbie here, can my specs run Dolphin well?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

90sLife

Hi, I'm new to Dolphin itself, but fairly experienced with different emulators.

Purchased this laptop not long ago, and did some upgrades.

Laptop: Acer Nitro 5
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with Radeon Graphics
Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB (2x16GB 3200mhz) 22CL w auto overclocking. (originally this came with 8GB out of the box)
Dedicated GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 1650

What games/systems should i expect to be able to run, and if someone could point me in a setup direction, how should i configure Dolphin?

Looking to play up to Gamecube and PS2. F-Zero GX to name one I'm hoping will play.

I do plan on building a serious desktop later in the year, and will be going for an Intel build there.

Does anyone here have similar specs, what has your overall experience been like with emulation?

ProtonPhoton

(01-13-2021, 02:49 PM)90sLife Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, I'm new to Dolphin itself, but fairly experienced with different emulators.

Purchased this laptop not long ago, and did some upgrades.

Laptop: Acer Nitro 5
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 4600H with Radeon Graphics
Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB (2x16GB 3200mhz) 22CL w auto overclocking. (originally this came with 8GB out of the box)
Dedicated GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 1650

What games/systems should i expect to be able to run, and if someone could point me in a setup direction, how should i configure Dolphin?

Looking to play up to Gamecube and PS2. F-Zero GX to name one I'm hoping will play.

I do plan on building a serious desktop later in the year, and will be going for an Intel build there.

Does anyone here have similar specs, what has your overall experience been like with emulation?

You should be able to run just about anything, I think up to 1440p and even 4K. The built-in Radeon graphics should be sufficient for most games at 720 or 1080p, but the GTX 1650 should be able to push 4K in many titles. The CPU is no major limited factor, and the RAM should be fine, though I'm not sure if your laptop is capable of using the full frequency of your RAM.
I'm running a system with a 4900HS and an RTX 2060, so a good bit more powerful, and it effortlessly chewed through Dolphin. On the other end, I've also used a dual-core i5 3360M with Intel HD 4000 graphics, and it actually coped respectably with most games, maintaining 60FPS in many titles at native res, most of the time. You should have no trouble with your system, Dolphin should be a dream.