Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Across-the-board slowdowns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
About 6 months ago, I built a new computer (thought kept my old GTX 960), and whenever I'm playing Wii games, I'm experiencing constant slowdowns in nearly every single game when I used to run everything just fine on a PC 1/4 the power. I've poked around at all the settings I can think of to try and fix it, but nothing is working. Mostly it's Wii games like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime Trilogy that are nearly unplayable now, running between 30-40fps when ANYTHING is happening, but even F-Zero GX and sometimes in Paper Mario 2 it gets pretty bad. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dolphin, but it's exactly the same (I don't think it deleted any config files or save games, though I'm not sure how to do that).

Any advice on where to start looking to fix this? Again, my old PC ran everything nearly flawlessly, but my new one is struggling like I made a massive hardware downgrade.
What did you have before the 3600X? It's been less of a thing since Ryzen, but we used to have threads where people thought they'd upgraded, but had actually ended up with a worse machine, or a worse machine for Dolphin, even if it was better in other software.

Also, what else might have changed, like configuration or Dolphin version? If, for example, you didn't copy your Documents folder across, you might have been using inaccurate, but fast, settings on your old machine, but be using slower, more accurate settings on the new one.
(01-06-2021, 06:21 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]What did you have before the 3600X? It's been less of a thing since Ryzen, but we used to have threads where people thought they'd upgraded, but had actually ended up with a worse machine, or a worse machine for Dolphin, even if it was better in other software.

Also, what else might have changed, like configuration or Dolphin version? If, for example, you didn't copy your Documents folder across, you might have been using inaccurate, but fast, settings on your old machine, but be using slower, more accurate settings on the new one.

Thanks for the help!  I don't *ENTIRELY* know what the problem was, but I ended up fixing it by deleting Dolphin and all its config stuff, and completely reinstalling.  I think the emulator just somehow got stuck in some configuration based on my old hardware, and needed a brain wipe. 

NOW suddenly it won't recognize input from my XBox 360 controller.  It sees that it's there, but it doesn't detect anything it does.  Also, it was listing it as xinput/1, when I know it's supposed to be /0 (though now it AND the kb/m are listed as /0) but that's for another forum section :-P (and I made a thread in that section).