Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Game banner graphic file extraction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

splinke

Is there a way to extract the graphic file that creates the game "Banner" in the main Dolphin game launcher window?

I would like to "inject" some of my Wii games onto the USB drive on my Wii U, but I need to use icon graphic files (128 x 128) for the launch screen and banner graphic files (1280 x 720) for launching, and I would like to just use the official icons/banners, if possible. I can download various images from the Internet, but I can't find good ones for some games.

Details:

I can extract the opening.bnr file from the main game image using Dolphin. And I can use U8Mii (from Wii.cs-Tools) to open that file and extract the banner.bin and icon.bin files. I can then use U8Mii again to open those files and extract individual graphic files in TPL format. I can then use TplMii (from Wii.cs-Tools) to convert the TPL files to PNG format. However, the banner graphic shown in Dolphin does not seem to be among them.

Within Dolphin, I can "Open Wii Save Folder" for individual games and find banner.bin and various save files. However, the banner.bin files there are not the same as the banner.bin files in the main game image, because U8Mii is unable to open them. I have read that the banners are actually incorporated into the save files, but they also cannot be opened by U8Mii.

I know this may all sound a bit confusing.
Yes, the banner is saved in the save data's banner.bin file. It's in a simple bitmap format at a constant offset in the file, unlike the more complicated banner.bin files that you would find in the root of a Wii disc. If you want to use Dolphin to extract the banner, there's a "Save As" button in Game Properties > Info.

splinke

(01-05-2021, 07:12 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, the banner is saved in the save data's banner.bin file. It's in a simple bitmap format at a constant offset in the file, unlike the more complicated banner.bin files that you would find in the root of a Wii disc. If you want to use Dolphin to extract the banner, there's a "Save As" button in Game Properties > Info.

Thanks so much! I hadn't seen the "Save As" under Info. That makes it very simple to get them. Unfortunately, they are pretty tiny (192 x 64), so they are not going to work for the banner I am trying to make. Do you know if there are larger versions of those files anywhere?
No, that's as large as they get. They were made for being displayed on a small portion of a 480p TV, after all.

splinke

(01-05-2021, 07:34 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]No, that's as large as they get. They were made for being displayed on a small portion of a 480p TV, after all.

Understood. I think I can use some screenshots of the opening/splash screens of the games within Dolphin. Thanks, again, for your quick replies. And, given your knowledge and "Developer" moniker, thanks for all of your hard work on this great emulator!