Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: The Star Wars Rogue Squadron games seriously need more attention
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As the title says Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike need more attention in the speed and stability departments. They've either stayed the same or regressed over the past year or so, and they run like absolute garbage on the highest-end gaming rigs.

For context, here's my specs:

- Intel Core i9-10900K

- NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super

- 64 GB DDR4 memory

- Running on an SSD

The most performance I've ever gotten in either of these games is 25 FPS. They're 60 FPS games. While trying to get a recording to show as an example, the game crashed so many times that I gave up. You'll just have to take my word for it. I've used all the recommended settings and even tried custom builds that claim to run the games better. Nothing can. That's not even counting all the graphical and stability issues.

Have more than one projectile on-screen? Severe lag. Switch to cockpit view? Guaranteed crash. Play the game normally? Constant crashes. Encounter a screen transition? Bright purple in your face (Ubershaders used to fix this but stopped some time ago). Enter a cutscene with Progressive Scan enabled? Too bad, enjoy stretched 480p. Have more than 1 polygon on-screen? 25 FPS maximum. Are those fighter craft in the distance colored purple? Yep, no fix. Try to skip a cutscene? High chance of crashing.

This is unacceptable in Dolphin's current state. I don't care how clever Factor 5 were, these games should've made progress by now, not regressions. Every new update seems to decrease performance and increase the crashing. Something needs to be done with these games to make them work how they should, especially on a rig this powerful, even if it requires its own development branch (master/dev/roguesquadron). Currently the best way to play these games is on a modded Wii in standard 480p, and I don't have any televisions that support Composite or Component. Can something be done about these games? Is something in the works? I just want to be able to play these games the same way but in 1080p. Normally the more popular games get fixed sooner, but I guess not in this case.
I don't have those games but I have seen video's of Roque leader running great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dODLZ7ymsz8
And besides, Dophin is a free open source project. The Dolphin devs have zero obligations to do anything.
If you want better emulation of these games you can contribute to Dolphin or fork it to make your own changes.
The Rogue Squadron games have had far more attention from developers than other games, so even if Dolphin's developers weren't volunteers doing things in their free time, you need to accept that Dolphin's only as good as it is for other games specifically because Dolphin's developers haven't been forced to make sure Rogue Squadron has parity. They're just significantly harder to emulate than the rest of the Wii/GC library. If you disagree and think it's something easy, people would be glad if you proved yourself right by making them work perfectly yourself, as everyone wants them to work perfectly.
So they are getting special attention? Good, as long as progress is being made. Hopefully they'll be playable before 2030.
I'm not sure that this is a productive way to ask for volunteer developers to focus their attention on something you want.