Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Motion controls inhibiting the pointer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Tarhsid

With motion controls enabled (DSU Client), Mario Galaxy sees the pointer as off screen when I hold the controller upright. If I switch the Wii remote setting to "upright", then the pointer doesn't work when the controller is held flat. My theory is that either Dolphin is simulating the pointer being off screen when the controller is tilted far from its base orientation, or the game is looking at motion input and thinking the pointer must theoretically be off screen. I'm not sure what the solution would be to either. Is there some way to leave motion enabled and not have to worry about holding the controller at a specific angle?
This is part of Dolphin's pointer emulation code, and I don't believe there's any tweak for it. It works the same way with a real Wii Remote – if the Wii Remote is upright, then the pointer is pointing at the ceiling, not at the screen. It's basically impossible to collect star bits with the pointer while playing one of Super Mario Galaxy's ball rolling levels with a real Wii Remote, as doing so causes you to accelerate forwards at full speed.

Tarhsid

Ah figured it might be an emulation feature. Appreciate the quick reply. I seem to have found a partial solution. Defining the Upright Hold hotkey as:

`DSUClient/0/DS4Windows:Accel Forward` > 7

Switches to upright mode when the controller is being held almost upright, and will stay there even a bit past fully vertical. For some reason upright mode is only working properly when the controller is upside down. Gonna play around with this for a bit and see if I can figure it out.