Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Old SFF Desktop to use as emulator?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

theslavvv

So, I currently only play GameCube games on my 2017 MacBook Air (which works, but doesnt seem super ideal), so I have been playing with the idea of buying a cheap used SFF desktop to connect to my TV to use for Dolphin GameCube emulation and streaming.

Currently I am looking at old desktops with mostly 4th gen intel i5s and integrated graphics (example is here:https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-ProDesk-600-G1-SFF-Intel-i5-4590-3-3GHz-4GB-DDR3-500GB-HDD-WIN8COA-No-OS/313365063990?epid=1057065803&hash=item48f6036936%3Ag%3AKiUAAOSwEwdf7iGr&LH_BIN=1). I would plan on using Linux (probably Ubuntu) as my OS in this setup.

So, from poking around it seems that this setup is going to be poking near the bare minimum as far as CPU and graphics go for running GameCube games, am I kind of correct in that impression? Does anyone hace a system with similar specs and can comment on how it is in practice? I don't need to have this running at 1080p or anyting, just full speed with all the textures showing up would be great.

Sorry if this is a low level question, and if so feel free to laugh me out of the forum.

Thanks.
You should be fine for at least 1x internal resolution. I remember using the i5 4670 and it was fine for most part. This will depend on the actual games though. It would be worth mentioning that you could add a low profile card like a gt 1030(gddr 5 don't get the ddr4 one) and do 3x internal resolution. It might even be able to go past 1x depending on game and memory speed and if it in dual channel with the intel 4600 HD.

theslavvv

(01-02-2021, 11:09 AM)themaster123 Wrote: [ -> ]You should be fine for at least 1x internal resolution. I remember using the i5 4670 and it was fine for most part. This will depend on the actual games though. It would be worth mentioning that you could add a low profile card like a gt 1030(gddr 5 don't get the ddr4 one) and do 3x internal resolution. It might even be able to go past 1x   depending on game and memory speed and if it in dual channel with the intel 4600 HD.

Awesome, that is good to hear. And ya, I was slowly learing with this setup I could to a halfwidth graphics card, but it is good to hear that it should work (well enough) without it as well. Thanks!