Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Ubuntu Error: Trying to access Windows-1252 fonts but they are not loade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mush

Dolphin 5.0-13227 on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS 64 bit, compiled from source.

I'm using Dolphin via EmulationStation, with only a gamepad. Upon launching a few games I get a dialog with the message: "Error: Trying to access Windows-1252 fonts but they are not loaded. Games may not show fonts correctly, or crash." It can only be dismissed via the keyboard or mouse so it's a bit disruptive.

From searching around I've learned this is referring to GC menu fonts. I've confirmed that I do have font_western.bin and font_japanese.bin in Data/Sys/GC and even tried compiling from source again to see if it would resolve the issue, but I continue to get the dialog.

I ended up commenting out both of the alerts in EXI_DeviceIPL.cpp and compiling my own 'dirty' version of dolphin just so I don't get the dialogs anymore as a workaround. But I wanted to check here to see if there was something else I could try that gets to the bottom of it.
If you launch Dolphin without Emulation Station do you have the same problem?

mush

(12-28-2020, 06:32 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]If you launch Dolphin without Emulation Station do you have the same problem?

Yep, same problem.
You have all the packages installed that Dolphin needs? https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...LTS_and_up
And you have Ubuntu up to date?

I've only ever seen this problem in a VM before

mush

(12-30-2020, 05:45 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]You have all the packages installed that Dolphin needs? https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...LTS_and_up
And you have Ubuntu up to date?

I've only ever seen this problem in a VM before

Yes, I have all of the packages installed and that is the wiki I followed to clone the repo and build the binary. I can circle back to see if there were any errors when building but after doing it a couple times nothing stood out to me. Ubuntu's up to date with 20.04.