Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Possible to compress files to the RVZ format from command line?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

mjr_awesome

Is it possible to convert files from ISO to RVZ via command line on Linux (or Windows, for that matter)? I would like to batch convert my collection of GC/Wii files on a headless Linux server. From what I know, Dolphin is the only software that can use and create RVZ files. I checked the command line options for the latest stable version of Dolphin on Windows, but couldn't see any for conversion/compression...

Thanks.
No, this is unfortunately not possible right now.

mjr_awesome

(11-20-2020, 08:13 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]No, this is unfortunately not possible right now.

Thanks for a very fast reply. Three more questions on the subject if you don't mind.

(1) Do you have plans to add this feature, i.e. conversion/compression via CLI, in the future?
(2) The only way to convert a large collection of ISO to RVZ now is to add them all to Dolphin, select all and "Convert Selected Files", correct?
(3) Do you have plans to add chd support in the future?
(11-20-2020, 08:38 AM)mjr_awesome Wrote: [ -> ](1) Do you have plans to add this feature, i.e. conversion/compression via CLI, in the future?

Yes, if I get time.

(11-20-2020, 08:38 AM)mjr_awesome Wrote: [ -> ](2) The only way to convert a large collection of ISO to RVZ now is to add them all to Dolphin, select all and "Convert Selected Files", correct?

Yes.

(11-20-2020, 08:38 AM)mjr_awesome Wrote: [ -> ](3) Do you have plans to add chd support in the future?

No, I don't have any concrete plans for that, as the compression probably won't be much better than with GCZ.

MiphasGrace

(11-20-2020, 05:43 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, if I get time.

Yes.

No, I don't have any concrete plans for that, as the compression probably won't be much better than with GCZ.

With respect this request had been made many times and it's badly needed. For example, I been wanting to convert my ISOs to RVZ on a headless machine running linux. I don't want to install x11, etc just for this task.

There needs to be a cross-platform CLI made for RVZ if you want it to be a file format of choice.

Could you spend the day and make a cli for RVZ conversion?
I did try running dolphin-emu in the terminal but complains about no GTK+.

This machine is remote, this is a PITA for me right now. Please make this a priority issue, it's low hanging fruit. The code exists, it just needs surfaced!
Nkit provides a x-platform converter toolset...RVZ needs one too.

Dimensional42

I know that this is an old thread, but I feel this can come in handy even on semi-portable devices, such as a raspberry pi 4. Now if the CLI conversion could also be used to get a checksum/hash of a game, that would come in handy with various rom managers used to validate them with dat files, such as a copy of Redump's Wii dat, which is also publicly accessible on No-Intro.

To be able to convert the file format and get checksums via CLI will come in handy for a lot of reasons, especially for bulk conversion without having to go through hundreds of mouse clicks just to add a folder to the Dolphin Library, so this would speed up automated processes and scripts.

mjr_awesome

Thanks to @beyondmeat, it is now possible to compress/decompress to/from RVZ from the CLI on Windows and Linux. I don't think that his contribution will/can be merged with Dolphin as is, so it's necessary to grab the standalone binaries from here: https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/9665. If you find this contribution helpful, remember to say thanks/give thumbs-up to the developer and report any issues.