Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: How well will dolphin run on the m1 chip?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Here is a video from Eta Prime testing Dolphin on an M1 machine: https://youtu.be/5bHUsFvLls8?t=388
(12-13-2020, 09:23 AM)garrlker Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sold, I've got an M1 Air coming in at the end of this month with the 8 core GPU (not that it will help too much).

did you already run a few test with the m1 8 gpu?

i've tested on my mba m1 7 gpu the first minutes of mario galaxy and it only was playable in 720p.

anyone else have problems do configure controllers? when i click in dolphin buttons the match them with input from a ps4 controller nothing happens.
(01-04-2021, 07:01 PM)heinzgruber Wrote: [ -> ]did you already run a few test with the m1 8 gpu?

i've tested on my mba m1 7 gpu the first minutes of mario galaxy and it only was playable in 720p.

anyone else have problems do configure controllers? when i click in dolphin buttons the match them with input from a ps4 controller nothing happens.

In fact I am unable to get resolution above Native for Mario Galaxy 1. Mario's rendering and other 3d elements are always native. If I tweak the settings a bit, make sure to turn off Scaled EFB Copy under Enhancements according to the Mario Galaxy Wiki, then things ran at 60FPS. 

Mario Galaxy 2 runs at the set resolution just fine. 60 FPS at 1080p with the tweaked settings.

The issue with the Dolphin buttons is a pain, they need to update to request access from Big Sur. Until then, look into an app called "Enjoyable" that lets you map they Keyboard profile of Dolphin. Just set Dolphin to use Keyboard, then go to Enjoyable and map each key together. This is a work-around.

Good luck, hope they fix Galaxy 1 soon. Game Cube titles are out of control good. 
(01-05-2021, 07:57 AM)whiteashsaturday Wrote: [ -> ]In fact I am unable to get resolution above Native for Mario Galaxy 1. Mario's rendering and other 3d elements are always native. If I tweak the settings a bit, make sure to turn off Scaled EFB Copy under Enhancements according to the Mario Galaxy Wiki, then things ran at 60FPS.

The reason why you're only getting native resolution is because you turned off Scaled EFB Copy.
(01-05-2021, 08:03 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]The reason why you're only getting native resolution is because you turned off Scaled EFB Copy.

I tried that option too. Mario Galaxy 1 anything 3D even with Scaled EFB copy is native res. Mario Galaxy 2 is different. Scaled on or off, just effects the speed. The resolution is changed. Weird behavior. 5.0-13242. Waiting for an update.
(01-04-2021, 07:01 PM)heinzgruber Wrote: [ -> ]did you already run a few test with the m1 8 gpu?

I have not.
When comes in later this week and I'll report back  Smile
I don't think the extra core is enough to make SMG run at 60fps 1080p.
It did fluctuate up to 60fps a few times, but it mostly hovered around the 45fps mark.
720p ran flawlessly.

I wouldn't be surprised if it could run 2.5xIR.
(01-09-2021, 02:11 AM)garrlker Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think the extra core is enough to make SMG run at 60fps 1080p.
It did fluctuate up to 60fps a few times, but it mostly hovered around the 45fps mark.
720p ran flawlessly.

I wouldn't be surprised if it could run 2.5xIR.

ah, you tested it? theoratically the 8 gpus should be upt to 15% faster than seven cores.

what do you mean with I wouldn't be surprised if it could run 2.5xIR.?
720p is 2xIR
1080p is 3xIR

I'm getting 45-60fps at 1080p. So if Dolphin still had the 2.5xIR option which is close to 900p (it doesn't anymore AFAIK) then you could probably get a decently stable 60fps at almost 1080p.

I did test it though, and at 720P this game runs flawlessly.
The devs had to remove the fractional IR steps because it broke things in the rendering pipeline
Pages: 1 2 3