Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Idea: Add better indication of what settings are/n't per-game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some graphics options seem to be global while others seem to be game specific, it would be nice if this was better communicated. Perhaps make it so that accessing settings from the Toolbar are always global and add a new game-specific Settings UI that can be accessed via the right-click context menu when right-clicking a game in the Game Library List?

Currently I'm trying to set up optimal settings for multiple games and it's a bit of a mess not knowing what settings will affect other games. It's also very annoying that a game has to be running in order to edit game specific settings.
(10-12-2020, 06:09 AM)Franpa Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps make it so that accessing settings from the Toolbar are always global and add a new game-specific Settings UI that can be accessed via the right-click context menu when right-clicking a game in the Game Library List?

That is how it already works (except the game-specific settings UI is rather limited and most settings aren't convenient to set using it). The one exception is that when you open the global settings while a game is running, if there are any settings that are overridden by the game-specific settings for that game, those settings will be shown in bold and any changes made to them will only apply for the current session and are not saved in either the global settings or the game-specific settings.
Hmmm... okay. I was expecting there to be all settings available to adjust and not just those few. For example a game might be more graphically demanding in which case I might want to run it at a lower internal rendering resolution, or use a specific Backend for examples.

The purpose of some options being bold is... not well communicated in the program. This did mislead me.
We use the GameINI overrides exclusively to deal with bugs. We don't know how good someone's hardware is after all so our default settings are as fast as possible, but if someone sets Dolphin to 8x native, they may have a computer that's fast enough for it. Or not. Either way, not our problem! What is our problem is when our default as fast as possible settings encounters a game that needs a more compatibility setting - that's where GameINI overrides come in. We can just turn on that compatible setting for just that game only when the user is playing it, and the user doesn't need to think about it!
(10-12-2020, 06:21 AM)Franpa Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm... okay. I was expecting there to be all settings available to adjust and not just those few

I do agree with you. The yuzu emulator recently added game specific settings and at least visually it seems their setting window allows users to edit every option in a game specific manner. I believe it looks nearly identical to their "global" settings window.

I'm keen to mimic that solution in Dolphin.

I started a PR moving a majority of the settings to a single window. My hope was to get that merged, then implement the game specific settings using an identical design. That window would include all the "global" setting sections and also the current game-specific details (patches, info, gecko codes, etc).
(10-12-2020, 11:23 AM)iwubcode Wrote: [ -> ]I do agree with you.  The yuzu emulator recently added game specific settings and at least visually it seems their setting window allows users to edit every option in a game specific manner.  I believe it looks nearly identical to their "global" settings window.

I'm keen to mimic that solution in Dolphin.

I started a PR moving a majority of the settings to a single window.  My hope was to get that merged, then implement the game specific settings using an identical design.  That window would include all the "global" setting sections and also the current game-specific details (patches, info, gecko codes, etc).

RPCS3 is another emulator where the Game Specific Settings UI includes virtually every setting (I think there's some network settings that aren't in there). The RPCS3 UI is what I was basing my original proposal on, before I was informed that (partially) already existed.

Quote:Perhaps make it so that accessing settings from the Toolbar are always global and add a new game-specific Settings UI that can be accessed via the right-click context menu when right-clicking a game in the Game Library List?