Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Real wii remote as emulated, no gyroscope data
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hopefully someone can help here or has had a similar issue, I worked with someone on discord on this yesterday with no success.

I have a Wii motion plus remote and nunchuk (RVL-CNT-01-TR), but no sensor bar. When I connect it to dolphin with "connect wii remotes for emulated controllers," everything works except there is no gyroscope data. This causes it to give uncontrollable movement of the pointer in game.

I gave up yesterday thinking that the remote was broken, but today I went and downloaded wiimotehook to see if that worked. It did! The gyroscope works fine for pointing the mouse, and moving the cursor in game when set up as a passthrough. This presents a new problem though, as wiimotehook emulates a DS3 or 4 controller and doesn't seem to pass through the motion from the nunchuk that I can find.

Attached is an image showing the config window of the controller- the gyroscope options are reading as null. I'm using build 12722, but I tried the development build (12247) as well with the same results.[attachment=19169]

I'm 99% sure the wiimote and nunchuk are real, nintendo products.. I did not buy then new in nintendo packaging, but all the markings are there and it works on a Wii U (that I don't have access to now). I also disassembled it yesterday to see if the accelerometer was loose or the PCB had a short or something noticable, and the PCB matches the one listed on the FCC website provided by nintendo.

Any thoughts or troubleshooting ideas? My guess right now is that dolphin is not recognizing the remote as having motion plus inside for some reason, but as a basic wii remote instead. Maybe I can force it to identify as a wii remote plus?
I've done some more troubleshooting. I installed dolphin 5.0-12722 on a 2020 macbook pro and had the same results, no gyroscope data (all null). I tried some other things- removing and reattaching the nunchuk at various times, setting up passthrough (doesn't work well), deleting user files and starting over. No luck.

Does anyone else have the same wii remote that works normally? I think it is the newest revision of wii remote (like 2011 or something). I also saw that the way the RVL-CNT-01-TR needs to be asked for data is different than the older models (WriteFile instead of HidD_SetOutputReport) but I am not familiar with the actual code that makes up dolphin.
Seeing "nan" where the gyroscope inputs are makes it look like your remote has bad MotionPlus calibration data.
Check Dolphin's log output for "WiiRemote: Bad M+ calibration checksum.".

Does this remote work with Bluetooth Passthrough (or on a real Wii) in MotionPlus-required games?
(10-08-2020, 06:20 AM)Billiard26 Wrote: [ -> ]Check Dolphin's log output for "WiiRemote: Bad M+ calibration checksum.".

Could you tell me how to show motion+ information in the log? I'm not sure what flag it needs.

I can't get it to passthrough any motion information, but I'm not sure I am setting it up correctly. I don't have a real wii available or another remote, and no sensor bar. The only game I have available for testing is Metroid Prime Trilogy.
(10-08-2020, 12:08 PM)openguin Wrote: [ -> ]Could you tell me how to show motion+ information in the log? I'm not sure what flag it needs.

I can't get it to passthrough any motion information, but I'm not sure I am setting it up correctly. I don't have a real wii available or another remote, and no sensor bar. The only game I have available for testing is Metroid Prime Trilogy.

View -> "Show Log" and "Show Log Configuration".
Set "Info" verbosity and make sure the "Wii Remote" type is enabled.

[Image: g6zWB9p.png]
You were right, there is a bad M+ calibration checksum error. Does that mean that the remote is broken? I went ahead and found a usb sensor bar so I'll try it later this week when it arrives.

Here's a section of the log, looks like a few different errors.

[attachment=19174]
From all those other errors your MotionPlus might not even be bad after all. It looks like Windows is having a hard time working with your remote.
Interesting! Maybe it's a driver conflict somewhere. Strange that it didn't work on the Mac client either though. I'll update once I receive a sensor bar. Thanks for your help!
I got a cheap sensor bar and it seems to operate normally in real wii remote mode, so now I'll use it like that. Guess I can go on to playing games now!

If you want me to get any more information for your curiosity I'd be happy to @Billiard26. Thank you for your help! It has been interesting to troubleshoot this with you.

giovinccent

(10-15-2020, 08:57 PM)openguin Wrote: [ -> ]I got a cheap sensor bar and it seems to operate normally in real wii remote mode, so now I'll use it like that. Guess I can go on to playing games now!

If you want me to get any more information for your curiosity I'd be happy to @Billiard26. Thank you for your help! It has been interesting to troubleshoot this with you.

Hello, could you please tell me if works fine in Mac OS ? I need buy a sensor right? (there is an specific model?)

Thanks in advance!!! Smile 
Pages: 1 2