Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Metroid Prime Trilogy: Black screen when starting Prime 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I had this problem before here with MP3, and the issue was simply a bad RIP. I solved the MP3 issue by just ripping the game again, nbd.

The thing is I'm now having a similar issue now with MP2, but this time it seems that everything is OK except for MP2. I've done 100% runs on both MP1 and MP3 and both work flawlessly, but when I go to start MP2 it shows the loading icon/purple screen (depending on the graphics backend) and then nothing but a black screen. There's no sound, but Task Manager seems to show some activity for about 30 seconds then stops. I've re-ripped it multiple times, tried rips from "friends," and it doesn't seem to fix the issue.
  • This is a new save
  • Both MP1 and MP3 work flawlessly and I've 100%ed both of them
  • I have tried multiple rips, including one I just made 30 minutes ago and I have the same issue with all of them
  • This issue occurs in both Primehack 1.0.1 and Dolphin 5.0-12722
  • I've tried with all 4 combinations of "Enable Dual Core," and "Deterministic Dual Core" on and off. Unless I somehow missed one, it doesn't seem to affect it.
  • I used Cleanrip to rip the game. I gave my Wii to my sister, so I've been borrowing the one from my work to do the ripping. I made sure to rip Dual Layer, but if there's another setting that might be messing this up, it's possibly to re-rip it, just a major PITA
  • Tried different graphics backends, running native IR, etc. and no dice.
  • GTX 1070, i7-6700k

When I run "Verify," I get the following:
Code:
Verify Info:
No problem found
CRC32: 8a4b439d
MD5: 823df1c3c425f1383529f368f6479359
SHA-1: 2204e5b19039d44b2379ab2065fd548c800ba680

File size: 7.92GB

Any ideas what this could be? I don't see many reports of this on the internet, so I'm pretty stumped.
I want to say something is messed up in your config? Try deleting config and cache in your documents/Dolphin Emulator folder. Then try normal dolphin first. IIRC, you shouldn't have purple loading on normal dolphin without overriding settings. Was that only on primehack?
(10-06-2020, 03:12 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]I want to say something is messed up in your config? Try deleting config and cache in your documents/Dolphin Emulator folder. Then try normal dolphin first. IIRC, you shouldn't have purple loading on normal dolphin without overriding settings. Was that only on primehack?

The issue was both with Dolphin and Primehack. I moved the config and cache folders to another directory and that fixed it. Since this confirmed that it was in fact a settings issue and not an ISO issue, I copied them back and went through things one by one. Thankfully one of the first things I tried was disabling gecko codes, and that seems to have fixed it. Strange that it only affects Prime 2.

The two codes in particular that were causing the issue were:
Code:
All Extras Unlocked:
0426497c 3880ffff
04264980 7c85312e

All Extras Purchased:
042649c0 3880ffff
042649c4 7c85312e

If either of these were enabled Prime 2 wouldn't start. After disabling both of them, the other AR codes work. Fixes both Dolphin and Primehack. Thanks for your help Smile