Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Use CPU for Bounding Box emulation too
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Andrew

I don't have a good GPU, so everytime Bounding Box is required, something goes black or softlocks the game. Look at my profile system specs if you want.

But something i've noticed is using the Ishiiruka version of dolphin has an option to set the CPU as Bounding Box mode, and works perfectly fine. ( I can't use the ishiiruka version only because it keeps throwing invalid write errors, they never updated it )
I just wonder if someone can implement that CPU mode on newer versions of dolphin. Specially in the Beta 11824 im currently using, since later versions runs a lot slower than usual.
Or else if there is another method that works would be nice.

Some notes: I've tried to put "BoundingBoxMode = 1" in GameINI [Video_Hacks] but it's stillĀ using the GPU.
I'm not entirely sure on this one but it doesn't seem possible to do accurate Bounding Box emulation entirely on the CPU side. And I don't want to be that guy but if you're still using the Intel HD Graphics 3000 iGPU listed on your profile, you're on a dead end, as that iGPU is too old and doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for Dolphin. I'm even surprised that you managed to run a recent Dolphin version on it without the emulator outright crashing at boot...
Yeah, the old 4.0 era CPU implementation of bounding box (which I assume is the one Ishiiruka is using) is notorious for not being accurate. I don't know for sure if it would be impossible to create an accurate one, but it certainly wouldn't be an easy task.

Andrew

Bounding Box is used in like... 10 games? But i didn't notice anything off when using the CPU.
The Intel I3 i have still very good today, if i can i'll buy an external graphics card and use it, but i can't afford that, at least for now.

I guess if there isn't a solution, it's ok. I was just hoping if someone takes the code of CPU mode and optimize it for newer dolphin