Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Games lag terribly when using multiple wiimotes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just recently started using dolphin, and I've come across an interesting issue that I can't seem to find anyone else talking about. When I connect multiple wiimotes to Dolphin, games begin to lag horribly. I'm not talking about input lag, but rather actual game lag where the game starts stuttering. It only happens when I press a button on the remote, so if I just let the game sit and don't do anything it runs fine (but obviously that isn't helpful). I even get lag by just having a second wiimote configured in controller settings, even if the second wiimote isn't connected. It's not as bad as when the remote is connected, but I do get occasional lag spikes that go away if I disable the second controller in settings. I've tried changing the backend to see if that would help, but it didn't (I'm currently using Vulkan as I get lag spikes with OpenGL and Direct3D doesn't work at all). As previously stated, I am new to dolphin, so I'm unsure as to what could be causing this. I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide.
What are your computer specs? It's possible that your computer can't handle too many Bluetooth connections at once, although I find it highly unlikely. Also, what adapter are you using, or simply your built-in Bluetooth?
(09-21-2020, 04:11 PM)Kookies Wrote: [ -> ]What are your computer specs? It's possible that your computer can't handle too many Bluetooth connections at once, although I find it highly unlikely. Also, what adapter are you using, or simply your built-in Bluetooth?

Ryzen 7 2700x
Radeon RX 590
16GB DDR4 3200 RAM
Bluetooth Adapter: https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networki...ter/ub400/

I find it hard to believe that it's too many Bluetooth connections being the issue. But it doesn't seem to just be an issue with the wii remotes. I also get some lag spikes when using multiple xbox controllers to play gamecube games (though not enough to make the game unplayable). However, I can use multiple xbox controllers on other games outside of dolphin without any problems, which leads me to think this is an issue with dolphin.

Another thing I forgot to note in my previous post is that I also get some lag spikes if speaker data is enabled for the wii remotes. It also doesn't work, with the speaker just making an occasional buzzing noise.
Definitely disable speaker data if not using passthrough, as it is usually buggy and unusable with an Emulated Adapter.
(09-23-2020, 03:27 PM)Kookies Wrote: [ -> ]Definitely disable speaker data if not using passthrough, as it is usually buggy and unusable with an Emulated Adapter.

Yeah, I've left that off since I don't care about having it work that much anyway. It's just frustrating not being able to use multiple controllers, especially since I literally cannot find a single other person who's had the same problem. Maybe I should try changing my version of dolphin? I'm on the latest beta release right now.
Well I seem to have figured out the problem, and I don't know how I didn't think of it before now. I noticed that it seemed less like the game itself was lagging, and more like it was just the audio. If I played the game with sound turned off I didn't even notice anything was wrong. I had been trying to use the Bluetooth soundbar I have for my computer, and I started to wonder if that could be the issue. So I plugged into the speaker with aux instead, and boom. It works great now without any problems. So I just have to use aux instead of Bluetooth with my speaker. I guess the emulated wii adapter doesn't play well with other devices.

Only annoying thing is now I have to swap the aux cord between my computer and my PS2 whenever I want to use my PS2 (I have a PS2 to HDMI + aux adapter I use to run my PS2 on my computer monitor). Before I had been using aux for the PS2 and Bluetooth for the PC, but oh well. I guess I can handle manually moving it around every so often when I want to play PS2. Or just get an aux splitter and an extra aux cord.