Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: FYI: Actually running smoth with this laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

silderan

Hello everybody.

I know that this section are for asking if some CPU/GPU will run Dolphin just fine.

But, I like to share a surprise with this (quite) old laptop.

This is it: https://es.msi.com/Laptop/GE70-2OC

Galaxy 2 at 60FPS, Asinchronous (No paiting):
[Image: deISBp.png]

This is Dragon Ball Budokai Tenkaichi 3 Synchronous (Ubershaders) :
[Image: deu1fV.md.png]
Taking screenchot GPU drops to 60%, but it clips higher than 90% when playing.
As you can see. GPU is about 60% and CPU 15%

Gamecube uses just the oposite: GPU 15-20% and CPU 60% (No screenshots, but you can trust me)

Fullscreen is perfect in Wii.
But in Gamecube movement is "jumping" while in windowed is perfect. FPS are steady at 25FPS.
Don't know why this issue in fullscreen mode.
That laptop isn't that bad for dolphin . Modern pc game would be a different story though but I would guessing you knew that though. Your better of using async ubershaders though. Assuming no driver/backend issues it provides the same benefits as Synchronous but without the gpu usage, power draw, or heat. I would also recommend check the compile shader before starting also.

silderan

Nope. I don't know that newer computers are "different story". Why is that? (maybe new CPU/GPU use less force brute and more "tricks" to do the job?)

Just tried your suggestion about Async and precompile.
Playing DB Tenkaichi 3, GPU is arround 50% (10% less) some times at 40% or even below. CPU is a bit higher: 20% (10% above)

Quite impressive, IMHO, for a "old" and "medium" gamer laptop, anyway.
That GPU isn't very powerful by modern standards on account of being low-end to mid-range and several generations old. PC games care a lot more about GPU power than Dolphin does, so while it's plenty for Dolphin, modern PC games will often be pushing it to its limit.