Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: (Sorry for the overstated question) Can my laptop can run dolphin slippi netplay?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Jupiter1162

Hello friends, newcomer here!

Just bought a laptop for school and one game specifically. MELEE. I really love the competitive scene and want to run the newest version of slippi with rollback netplay.

My specs are as follows:
-Acer Aspire
-AMD Quad-core Processor A8-7410 (2.2-2.5 GHz)
-AMD Radeon R5 Graphics card
-4GB DDR3 L Memory

I am able to play, but once I enter a match with someone, my fps drops to 40-50 max. I've optimized the general graphics and config settings to the best of my knowledge, but I really am a simpleton when it comes to computers and learning about them and how to optimize them is very painful and slow for me, although I definitely try...

Am I missing something here that could help me run at 60 fps consistently? Or are my specs just too poor?...
It should be mentioned that we don't support unofficial/3rd-party builds like Slippi. For any issues you have, you'll have to ask the people who maintain it or their community.

However, we can still provide you some answers about Dolphin's performance on various types of hardware. Unfortunately, I think your CPU might be a bit too slow for Dolphin. Anything pre-Ryzen on AMD isn't going to handle Dolphin well. Recently, AMD has drastically improved single-threaded Instructions-Per-Cycle performance in the past few years, which is a major factor in how well Dolphin runs. Older AMD CPUs just don't do so well.

You can try the latest development revisions from this site and see if they help any, but if not, I'd say you're bottlenecked by your CPU, especially if you play at 1x native resolution (480p) to eliminate the GPU as the cause of slowdown.

Jupiter1162

Oh my bad I didn't realize.. Thanks!

Should I sell and buy a bew one instead then? No hope?
The description of that laptop on Amazon pretty much says what's the intended use:

"With the Aspire E-Series everyday tasks like web browsing, communication and video playback, are easy with Intel or AMD processors. NVIDIA or AMD graphics provide fine visual details. The large amount of memory allows you to open apps fast, and a high-capacity hard drive provides more space for your media."

Yeah, had to translate it. For some reason Amazon shows itself in Spanish to me.