Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: RVZ block size questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
  • I know that increasing the block size of RVZ can help get the file smaller but can that hurt performance?
  • Are there any tools to benchmark the performance to make sure that you won't get any slowdowns with certain settings?
  • When Dolphin loads the file and reads it, does it read it in chunks the size of the blocks or something different? For some systems size of the file accesses could affect performance.
(08-06-2020, 03:10 AM)Paper Thin Wrote: [ -> ]I know that increasing the block size of RVZ can help get the file smaller but can that hurt performance?

Yes.

(08-06-2020, 03:10 AM)Paper Thin Wrote: [ -> ]Are there any tools to benchmark the performance to make sure that you won't get any slowdowns with certain settings?

No, not really.

(08-06-2020, 03:10 AM)Paper Thin Wrote: [ -> ]When Dolphin loads the file and reads it, does it read it in chunks the size of the blocks or something different? For some systems size of the file accesses could affect performance.

The read sizes vary depending on the access patterns of the emulated game, but Dolphin never reads data from more than one block at once, so the block size is a kind of upper limit for how much data Dolphin reads at a time.
(08-06-2020, 04:34 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]Yes.

No, not really.

The read sizes vary depending on the access patterns of the emulated game, but Dolphin never reads data from more than one block at once, so the block size is a kind of upper limit for how much data Dolphin reads at a time.

Is there any surefire way to identify if there is a problem or any games at all that seem to be particularly stressful for larger block sizes?

I'm asking about the block size access patterns because if you run your games from a drive using ZFS it's best to match the block size of ZFS to the size of the data accesses.

I'm basically trying to figure out what settings I should archive with and what block size to set to make everything match up so that I don't have my games breaking on me.
I'm probably over thinking this issue so I'll just move on.

Is there any chance we could see updates to RVZ for some more advanced features like multi-revision or multi-disk files?
There are probably quite a few gains that could be made with those types of games because of the likely large amounts of identical content.