Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: can my pc run dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Fake Night

I tried to run dolphin before but the emulator lagged a lot, I remember reading that amd hardware might not be good for dolphin, but I still want to at least ask before I give up for good

PC Specs

Windows 10
AMD FX™-4300 Quad-Core 3.80 Ghz
AMD Radeon ™ R7 360 Series
8.00 GB

Using Dolphin 5.0 x64
Older AMD CPUs (before Ryzen) had poor single-threaded performance compared to equivalent Intel products. Dolphin relies heavily on single-threaded performance, so AMD FX CPUs have historically struggled running Dolphin. Newer Ryzen CPUs from AMD have significantly closed the gap to the point where Intel or AMD shouldn't matter (e.g. you pick based on your price/needs now, regardless of the company).

Dolphin 5.0 is somewhat notorious for being old and slow. At this point, development revisions have vastly improved Dolphin's performance compared to 5.0. I'd try using the latest development build (5.0-12380 at the time of this writing) and see how it handles. You might still suffer some performance issues, but you should also notice an increase. Overclocking your CPU may be necessary if you're still getting drops or less than 100% fullspeed.

If that doesn't help (or doesn't help as much as you'd like), it would probably be time to upgrade at least the CPU. Everything else is fine for Dolphin. RAM doesn't matter, as long as you have enough (4GB is sufficient, for example, and you could even go lower) and your GPU should handle most games at high resolutions.

Fake Night

(08-04-2020, 12:56 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Older AMD CPUs (before Ryzen) had poor single-threaded performance compared to equivalent Intel products. Dolphin relies heavily on single-threaded performance, so AMD FX CPUs have historically struggled running Dolphin. Newer Ryzen CPUs from AMD have significantly closed the gap to the point where Intel or AMD shouldn't matter (e.g. you pick based on your price/needs now, regardless of the company).

Dolphin 5.0 is somewhat notorious for being old and slow. At this point, development revisions have vastly improved Dolphin's performance compared to 5.0. I'd try using the latest development build (5.0-12380 at the time of this writing) and see how it handles. You might still suffer some performance issues, but you should also notice an increase. Overclocking your CPU may be necessary if you're still getting drops or less than 100% fullspeed.

If that doesn't help (or doesn't help as much as you'd like), it would probably be time to upgrade at least the CPU. Everything else is fine for Dolphin. RAM doesn't matter, as long as you have enough (4GB is sufficient, for example, and you could even go lower) and your GPU should handle most games at high resolutions.

I'm having problems installing the .dll file needed, are there any alternative builds I can use?
We only recommend either the 5.0 stable build (which you're already using) or the latest development revisions. You're free to use other 3rd-party builds, but you'll have to ask the provider for support rather than the Dolphin Forums in general.

You never said which .dll file you're having trouble with. It's typically an easy fix since others have encountered such issues before.

Fake Night

(08-05-2020, 07:57 AM)tShonumi Wrote: [ -> ]We only recommend either the 5.0 stable build (which you're already using) or the latest development revisions. You're free to use other 3rd-party builds, but you'll have to ask the provider for support rather than the Dolphin Forums in general.

You never said which .dll file you're having trouble with. It's typically an easy fix since others have encountered such issues before.

I was missing the MSCP130.dll file but I manged finally get it after setting the microsoft program to repair and then installing it again. I owe you my thanks, the custom build you recommend me runs phantasy star much better.

Fwiw, I don't really recommend custom builds (3rd party or whatever), just the official builds available from this site. But people are free to use whichever one they want.

Fake Night

(08-05-2020, 09:26 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Fwiw, I don't really recommend custom builds (3rd party or whatever), just the official builds available from this site. But people are free to use whichever one they want.
I meant the development build you recommend me.
I see. Sorry for the mix-up then. Enjoy playing Dolphin then Big Grin