Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Choosing a CPU
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The original poster already know that dolphin doesn't use a lot of core even stating so in the original post. As already stated the difference won't matter has most game aren't going to see any benefit(once you hit 100 speed there no point in going further). The benefit of the r9 3950x cores might be more useful in other app the op using over the 5-15% going from the i9-10900k(I factor overclock and worse case in the top range). Also if his last post was over a month ago and I'm sure he probably already got it anyways. My laptop i7 7700hq with a single ddr 2400 mem stick can run most of the game I play well(about 40 game with only 1 or 2 have slowdown). There a few case that have to use a my desktop to get full speed but most of the time this correct itself with an update to dolphin over time and in the case of game rare game like rogue squadron 3 (2 is fine on my laptop in general) it won't run a full speed on my r7 3700x anyways. the r7 3700x is around 30-40% faster then my laptop for dolphin if I remember right. Though it much faster(3200mhz) memory which is in dual channel also might be a factor.

Aft_Mont

(08-04-2020, 09:11 AM)Pilotwings64 Wrote: [ -> ]I want to build a PC that, among other things, will run Dolphin.

I'm trying to decide between  

- Intel i9-10900K         | 10 core (20 thread) | 5.1 GHz max clock
- AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 16 core (32 thread) | 4.7 GHz max clock

I'm sure the higher core count of the Ryzen will be very useful outside of Dolphin, but I'm wondering if I'd be giving up a noticeable gain from the 0.4 GHz clock difference, since Dolphin can only use two cores.

Are there any benchmarks or other info that can give me a better understanding of what the trade off is here?

Thanks!

Remember about TDP and L3 Cache.
Ryzen 9 3950x has 105 TDP (vs 125 in Intel) and 64mb L3 Cache (vs 20mb in Intel)
But even in this situation, Intel better optimised for any software. So Intel almost always has more FPS in Blender/Handbrake/AdobeP
Tdp isn't comparable between intel and amd and actually the r9 3950x plug less power then the i7 9700k, let alone the i9 10900k. The r9 3950x is most of the time faster then the i9-10900k in productivity software, even the r9 3900x(which is cheaper) is faster in a lot of cases. including handbrake and blender, even in the per clock\core you can't always say intel faster. in 7-zip compression a r7 3700x is faster then a i9-10900 even overclocked.
I give the fact the adobe p is generally faster on intel but it not as simple as tdp and cache for performance and power consumption.
As for dolphin or gaming in general no one say that the r9 is faster then the i9 since those as of right now are faster
Links in case you want to look at source
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/int...cpu-review
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...+nexus+tdp most since there multiple video that are relevant.
Pages: 1 2 3