Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Legend of Golfer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I hope this is the right place to post these type of issues.

I'm using Dolphin 5.11991 and this is the issue that appears in Legend of Golfer:
https://imgur.com/a/nfeT7Ad

The water is not supposed to look like that.

I'm using pretty basic settings because I'm trying to record a TAS of it in original GameCube quality.

I'll put the TAS on hold for now but figured I should probably post this issue here otherwise it won't ever get fixed in later builds as nobody plays this game lol (it's pretty good)
Get latest dev build and try again. Does the issue still happens?
(08-01-2020, 12:50 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Get latest dev build and try again. Does the issue still happens?

I'll run a test tomorrow and report back! Is the latest Dev the version I should run with rather than the latest Beta? I've always been hesitant to try these because the disclaimer above mentioning they are not very stable makes me anxious I might have to trash an entire TAS project with these Dev versions.
The latest dev builds are actually pretty stable (since they have the latest features and fixes). As of writing, 12247 is the latest build.
Also in future it's best to ask game specific support questions on the related game's page.
(08-01-2020, 05:58 AM)Kolano Wrote: [ -> ]Also in future it's best to ask game specific support questions on the related game's page.

OK, thanks! I'll do that next time and just continue the issue for this one on this thread if you don't mind. I wasn't sure whether to use this forum or the game specific page.. I noticed a couple more threads like this one in here so
(08-01-2020, 05:04 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]The latest dev builds are actually pretty stable (since they have the latest features and fixes). As of writing, 12247 is the latest build.

I'm a bit confused here. Don't you mean that beta builds are stable? Because the latest beta build is 12247 whereas the latest Dev build is 12364.

I just ran a test with the latest Dev and Beta build.. (12364 and 12247 respectively). The water still looked glitchy on the beta 12247 but it was actually fixed on the dev 12364! 

So what should I do now? I could wait for the next beta build which would include this fix, or would you say that it's safe enough for me to spend the next 20 hours recording a TAS file on the working dev 12364? The disclaimer mentioning it's "unstable" brings me a bit of anxiety.
The overall state of Dolphin is such that even the latest bleeding edge builds are generally stable. The odds of encountering serious issues in everyday use with dev builds has gone down quite a bit over the years. So I wouldn't worry about it. You're unlikely to face a catastrophic or game-breaking issue caused by recent changes to the codebase. It could happen, but remember there are no absolute guarantees with the beta builds (or 5.0 build, or any build ever). The chances are slim enough that we almost always recommend using the latest dev build.

If you're that apprehensive, try an extended test session with the latest dev build (maybe 30 minutes). If nothing blows up, you're probably not going to find major issues later on.
(08-01-2020, 05:27 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]The overall state of Dolphin is such that even the latest bleeding edge builds are generally stable. The odds of encountering serious issues in everyday use with dev builds has gone down quite a bit over the years. So I wouldn't worry about it. You're unlikely to face a catastrophic or game-breaking issue caused by recent changes to the codebase. It could happen, but remember there are no absolute guarantees with the beta builds (or 5.0 build, or any build ever). The chances are slim enough that we almost always recommend using the latest dev build.

If you're that apprehensive, try an extended test session with the latest dev build (maybe 30 minutes). If nothing blows up, you're probably not going to find major issues later on.

Sweet, thanks a lot for all that. I'll stick with latest dev builds from now on then.. and big thanks to the team for getting Legend of Golfer fixed so very recently in the newest build.. quite the coincidence Smile
OK apparently it's not fixed. It's fixed in freeplay mode but strangely not in Campaign. So I'll post this on the official Legend of Golfer thread.