Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin on Macbook 16" Win / Macos crashes regularily. Messed up the config?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

docower

First post here, I hope I'm doing everything right Smile

After I got my new Macbook 2019, I thought I could play some of my GameCube games, but I think I messed something up in the config (or Apple with their drivers), because Dolphin (5.0-12247) crashes on me.

I only have one game to my disposal so far (because I don't want to start ripping all of my games unless I know for sure that the Emulator itself works), which is Blood Roar: Primal Fury. This should be fine according to the game thread. The Macbook in question is

2.3 Ghz 8 core Intel i9
16 GB RAM
ADI Radeon Pro 5500M

MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) or Windows 10 via BootCamp

I don't have much requirements per se - the games should play and feel as they do on my trusty Gamecube, only a higher resolution would be fine.

And basically, everything works with good performance, but I have strange crashes.
On MacOS, I can play for some time, but in certain stages (maybe under certain lighting conditions), the game heavily stutters, and in some times it crashes so hard that I have to force-shutdown my computer.

On Windows, I can play for a short time, but then Dolphin quits, and the Windows event log just shows a general unspecified error message. ("The Application quit unexpectedly")

I assume that Apple just provided poor drivers for Windows, and that Vulkan on Mac is not really good; I read on the Forums "use Windows!" I really would love to use Windows, but I don't know what to do with the crashes.

Can I fix something with configuration?
If you take screen shots of your settings in both Windows and Mac we can see if there's a problem (upload it to an image hosting site like Imgur and link it here is the easiest way)

Also, in Dolphin's game list, right click on the game > Properties > Verify Tab > Verify to make sure you have a good dump of the game.