Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Netplay throwing version mismatch error despite being on same version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Raqzas

So I've been trying to get Netplay to work between a friend and I, him running on Windows 10 and me running on Linux elementaryOS 5.6.1. We are both, in theory, running the same version, that being the latest dev release (r12348).

However, when we try to Direct Connect to each other, we get an error complaining about a version mismatch, and some testing with the server browser shows that my version of Dolphin reports as 5.0-b5d9756-dirty, which also shows up in the About window. Now the commit number for r12348 is b5d97561be708950e5171b5e842ab17e75b925a3, meaning that our versions are actually the same, they just go by different names. I'd installed Dolphin via the Dolphin ppa, installing dolphin-emu-master as detailed in the wiki's installation guide. But it seems the versioning in this build is different from that on Windows.

Now, my main question would be how do I make Dolphin recognise that it is actually the same. I had some vain hope that building Dolphin myself would give it the rXX versioning, so I tried that, but the build failed. Cmake did not throw any major errors, but make seems to complain about some build files being wrong. This error is consistent across any version I tried building, including r12346, r12344, and the latest beta build r12247: Pastebin

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The different version number is a quirk of how builds are made for the Ubuntu PPA. Your guess that building Dolphin yourself would give you the normal version numbering is correct (as long as you are building from a git repo).

The errors are caused by you having an old version of the Zstandard library installed. Dolphin can handle the case where you don't have it installed (Dolphin will use its own copy from the Externals folder) and the case where you have a recent version installed (Dolphin uses the system library), but it unfortunately can't handle the case where you have an old version installed. Either updating or uninstalling the library should fix it for now, but hopefully Dolphin will be able to detect this situation in the future.

Raqzas

Thank you so much, that did work.

Curiously enough I didn't even have Zstandard installed, and doing so from my distro's repositories did not change the error I got while building. Turns out the library distributed that way was fairly outdated, and after building Zstandard from source Dolphin built without a hitch.