Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Question about compression in the new RVZ format.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With there being multiple algorithms to choose from to compress the data, I'd just like to know if there is any performance differences between them.

I'm looking to use as much compression I can without affecting performance, I notice that three of the options are labelled as "slow", do any of these compression types, or subsequent compression levels have any negative impact on the resulting rvz file's loading/reading/seeking in Dolphin?

My first assumption is that this just relates to the time it takes to actually compress the data, but I really need to be sure.
The options that are marked "slow" affect the decompression performance enough that I would not recommend using them. (Both the compression performance and the decompression performance are affected, but having the conversion take longer is less of a problem than getting annoying stuttering while you're trying to play games.)

On the other hand, increasing the compression level only affects the compression performance and not the decompression performance, at least for Zstandard.
(07-23-2020, 11:03 PM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]The options that are marked "slow" affect the decompression performance enough that I would not recommend using them. (Both the compression performance and the decompression performance are affected, but having the conversion take longer is less of a problem than getting annoying stuttering while you're trying to play games.)

On the other hand, increasing the compression level only affects the compression performance and not the decompression performance, at least for Zstandard.

Right, that's everything I needed to know. I don't care how long it takes to create an RVZ file, all I care about is not degrading Dolphin's performance when reading from it.

Max level Zstandard it is then. Thanks!