Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Rhythm Heaven Fever, Shrimp Shuffle slowdown
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm experiencing a major problem when playing Rhythm Heaven Fever (NA version, specifically), as the Shrimp Shuffle minigame causes the emulator's framerate to drop from 60 FPS to 30 FPS, rendering the game unplayable. This is a known issue, however, it had supposedly been fixed. I'm currently using Dolphin 5.0-12247 x64, default settings.

The Dolphin Wiki article on the game makes note of it, presenting two solutions:
  • Fixed by enabling "External Frame Buffer (XFB)" (outdated, as newer versions have switched to Hybrid XFB, which means the settings are different)
  • Fixed with Hybrid XFB in 5.0-5874 (should work by default, but doesn't - might be an error with specific settings?)
I played around with the XFB settings a bit, but nothing came of it - disabling "Store XFB Copies to Texture Only" causes the entire game to slow down, while any combination of "Immediately Present XFB" and "Skip Presenting Duplicate Frames" has no apparent effect: the framerate still drops when playing Shrimp Shuffle.

Of note is that the article also mentions that the Micro-Row minigame also has issues that can be solved with XFB; however, it works perfectly with the default settings.

My current settings:
Code:
[Enhancements]
ArbitraryMipmapDetection = True
DisableCopyFilter = True
ForceTrueColor = True
[Hacks]
BBoxEnable = False
DeferEFBCopies = True
EFBEmulateFormatChanges = False
EFBScaledCopy = True
EFBToTextureEnable = True
SkipDuplicateXFBs = True
XFBToTextureEnable = True
ImmediateXFBEnable = False
[Settings]
BackendMultithreading = True
FastDepthCalc = True
InternalResolution = 1
SaveTextureCacheToState = True

And my specs, just in case:
  • Operating System: Windows 7 x64
  • Processor: Intel Core i3-3240 CPU 3.40 GHz
  • Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450
  • RAM: 4,00 GB
Okay, I believe that should be all the pertinent information. The question now is, any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
Does the speed percentage show 100% or 50%? If it shows 50%, try turning off vsync in dolphin and set AMD's graphics vsync to application controlled. If it shows 100%, try including a portable.txt file in the same directory as the dolphin executable.
The percentage shows 50%, yes. Unfortunately, Dolphin's V-Sync set to "off" and AMD's Graphics V-Syncs set to "application controlled" are the default settings, or, the settings I was using when I reported the problem, so that's sadly not the solution. I'll try out the portable.txt fix too, but as of now, I'm not sure how to make the portable 'version' read my savefile. I'll update with results.
(07-13-2020, 12:46 PM)FernandoLemon Wrote: [ -> ]The percentage shows 50%, yes. Unfortunately, Dolphin's V-Sync set to "off" and AMD's Graphics V-Syncs set to "application controlled" are the default settings, or, the settings I was using when I reported the problem, so that's sadly not the solution. I'll try out the portable.txt fix too, but as of now, I'm not sure how to make the portable 'version' read my savefile. I'll update with results.

To copy your save, you can copy the Wii folder from Documents\Dolphin Emulator to the user folder in the same directory as dolphin.

I guess make sure your windows power plan and AMD graphics are on high performance. Also If you are on a laptop, plug it in. Exactly 50% makes me think it is vsync or power saving. You could also try changing video backend.
Okay, updates. I finally copied my savefile, and can confirm that the portable.txt fix didn't work. I'm not on a laptop, so that's not it either. I switched the Windows Power Plan and AMD graphics to high performance just now, and that also didn't do anything, I'm afraid.

The most interesting result so far, however, was changing the Video Backend, and while it doesn't quite solve the problem, I believe the solution lies somewhere there. I was using OpenGL by default when encountering the problem. However, both Direct3D 11 and Null managed to stop all lag... at the cost of diabling all visuals - they show a black screen and a white screen, respectively (not just during Shrimp Shuffle, throughout the entire game); and while Null should be obvious why, Direct3D 11 doesn't work because "it's not supported by my system configuration" according to the error message, which also states it's probably because I'm using Windows 7. Intersentingly, Direct3D 12 doesn't work at all because it fails to read the d3d12.dll file that I downloaded, which is weird, but making it work *could* be a fix to this problem. At least we know for certain it's a graphics-related problem now. (As for Vulkan and Software Renderer, I think we can ignore those - Vulkan fails to load its library, and Software Renderer makes the framerate drop terribly in everything).

And just to make it clear, it's never *exactly* 50% when I'm using OpenGL, it's always somewhere around 51%-55%, the FPS shift very slightly when starting up that game. The game's title card has always ran perfectly at exactly 100%.
(07-17-2020, 04:37 AM)FernandoLemon Wrote: [ -> ]Okay, updates. I finally copied my savefile, and can confirm that the portable.txt fix didn't work. I'm not on a laptop, so that's not it either. I switched the Windows Power Plan and AMD graphics to high performance just now, and that also didn't do anything, I'm afraid.

The most interesting result so far, however, was changing the Video Backend, and while it doesn't quite solve the problem, I believe the solution lies somewhere there. I was using OpenGL by default when encountering the problem. However, both Direct3D 11 and Null managed to stop all lag... at the cost of diabling all visuals - they show a black screen and a white screen, respectively (not just during Shrimp Shuffle, throughout the entire game); and while Null should be obvious why, Direct3D 11 doesn't work because "it's not supported by my system configuration" according to the error message, which also states it's probably because I'm using Windows 7. Intersentingly, Direct3D 12 doesn't work at all because it fails to read the d3d12.dll file that I downloaded, which is weird, but making it work *could* be a fix to this problem. At least we know for certain it's a graphics-related problem now. (As for Vulkan and Software Renderer, I think we can ignore those - Vulkan fails to load its library, and Software Renderer makes the framerate drop terribly in everything).

And just to make it clear, it's never *exactly* 50% when I'm using OpenGL, it's always somewhere around 51%-55%, the FPS shift very slightly when starting up that game. The game's title card has always ran perfectly at exactly 100%.

I don't think the HD 5450 would not support newer D3D11, D3D12, or vulkan even if you were on windows 10. I think D3D11 should mostly work, though. AFAIK only LogicOps should be broken, and there was an approximation for that a year ago. Update your GPU driver? But at some point, I'm afraid this might be too much for a 10 year old low power GPU.
(07-17-2020, 11:40 AM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think the HD 5450 would not support newer D3D11, D3D12, or vulkan even if you were on windows 10. I think D3D11 should mostly work, though. AFAIK only LogicOps should be broken, and there was an approximation for that a year ago. Update your GPU driver? But at some point, I'm afraid this might be too much for a 10 year old low power GPU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_5000_series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_le...irect3D_12

According to those, the HD 5000 series does not support D3D12. In *any* way. Not even downloading DLLs.
Damn, that actually sucks.

I guess next, I'll see if running Dolphin on Windows 10 fixes the problem. My brother's PC runs on Windows 10, so I guess can test it there. Obviously, it's not ideal, but meh, if it works...
Okay, I played the game on a better computer, and Shrimp Shuffle works perfectly. Therefore, I'm extremely sure I'm just using a bad PC and it's got something to do with my specs. It sucks, since that PC isn't mine and I can't use it whenever I want, which also locks me out of some of the game's content, but I guess it could be much worse.