Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Those recommended DVD drives that could read GC/WII games?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I remember years ago that a recommendation for Wii game dumping was a set of specific drives that could read Wii games via software that could utilize a driver quirk (free dump?) to read Wii/GC discs.

In the past I actually attempted to procure one from a seller and when i received it it was the wrong model (The seller insisted it should work to replace the drive in any PC that drive was in when I complained) and despite numerous attempts it wouldn't read the discs. To this day I've just had a homebrewed Wii set aside to dump my games and while it's worked it requires several extra steps to move the files on top maintaining shelf space for a machine that only dumps Wii/GC games. I have knocking around in my head the idea of an all in one game dumping machine and I have a spare PC upstairs that I could do that with. I already have a USB DS cart dumper, a USB SNES/Genesis/GBA/GB cart dumper, and the regular DVD drive I have can dump PS1/PS2 games. Getting a Wii/GC drive along with an external Blu-ray drive of the type that could read PS3 games could really get me close to that goal.

Anyway with that out of the way I was curious if any of these drives are still around and can be purchased new/still working used without an exuberant fee.
Those "compatible" drivers were IDE only and were already hard to find years back, they probably don't even exist anymore. Also, while they worked, dumping with them was super slow (due to the unusual way of reading the disc), it took hours to dump a GC disc, even more with Wii discs. It's definitely not worth the trouble, to have an inferior experience in the end.

So, yeah, stick with your Wii for dumping needs...
(07-03-2020, 06:41 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]Those "compatible" drivers were IDE only.

Not so, I have a SATA DVD drive that's compatible with RawDump.

I can confirm that it takes a LONG time to dump discs, but it does work.  (Unless you're trying to dump a dual-layer disc)

I believe it's an LG GDR-H10N with firmware 0B10, I'll verify that when I get home.
(07-29-2020, 02:33 AM)Lylat1an Wrote: [ -> ]Not so, I have a SATA DVD drive that's compatible with RawDump.

I can confirm that it takes a LONG time to dump discs, but it does work.  (Unless you're trying to dump a dual-layer disc)

I believe it's an LG GDR-H10N with firmware 0B10, I'll verify that when I get home.

Well, mine is actually an HP-branded version.  It still shows up as a GDRH10N though.

The HP Part Number is 410125-200 and I think the firmware is 0F03 if I'm reading the handwriting correctly.