Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Laptop for F-Zero Gx
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I'm searching for the cheapest possibile laptop that can run F-Zero GX in single core without trouble (if there Is any). Keep in mind that i can play It at 1x resolition, don't need to enhance the graphics.
It would be easier if you could tell us what budget you have in mind. It'll help us point you in the right direction more easily.
(06-22-2020, 11:34 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]It would be easier if you could tell us what budget you have in mind. It'll help us point you in the right direction more easily.
Something around or below 700$ maybe.
This should work. https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-gf-seri...klink=true . It not running a cpu with a u suffix and as a 1650 max q so you should easy be able to use use enchantments if you wanted. The key is to avoid laptops that have a cpu with the u suffix as this are low power chips that won't be idea to run dolphin due to power\thermal limits. They can but not idea.
(06-23-2020, 03:05 PM)themaster123 Wrote: [ -> ]This should work. https://www.newegg.com/black-msi-gf-seri...klink=true  . It not running a cpu with a u suffix and as a 1650 max q so you should easy be able to use use enchantments if you wanted. The key is to avoid laptops that have a cpu with the u suffix as this are low power chips that won't be idea to run dolphin due to power\thermal limits. They can but not idea.

Thanks, I didn't know that u suffix means low power. Just to know, does this apply to ryzen cpus as well? The msi looks great but i don't live in the US and It Is more espansive here. So I found this Lenovo that appears to have similar specs, apart from a non max Q GPU. Would It be fine?

[color=#777777] [color=#000000]LENOVO L340-15IRH  [/color] Intel Core I5-9300HF | 2,4 GHz - 8 MB L3| - HDD: 1000 GB - SSD: 128 GB - RAM: 8 GB - Display: 15,6'' LED Full HD - WiFi IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac - Bluetooth 4.2 - Windows 10 Home 64 -  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650, 4 GB [/color]

In general, should any non low power i5 or i7 of recent gen with more than 2ghz base clock and 4ghz boost be good enough? And what about the ryzen 5 or 7?
To answer you question about non low power assuming it cooling is enough then yes any reasonable modern mobile i5, i7, r5, r7 should run dolphin well. The current gen ryzen 4000 zen 2 based laptops would be the way to go if you go AMD. I thinking they use the u suffix also for there low power cpu also. Max q designs run a little slow then the standard version because there power limited to fix into smaller form factor or for lower noise. That laptop would be find but the I5-9300HF doesn't have integrated graphic and probably won't have a good battery life, though you won't have to deal with nvidia switchable graphics(it not bad though). Since you mention you outside the United states if would be worth mention you country so other people could help with get the best value also. The gtx 1650 even max q should easly be enough for asynchronous ubershaders with a 3x(1080p) upscaling also.
(06-24-2020, 08:21 AM)themaster123 Wrote: [ -> ]To answer you question about non low power assuming it cooling is enough then yes any reasonable modern mobile i5, i7, r5, r7 should run dolphin well. The current gen ryzen 4000 zen 2 based laptops would be the way to go if you go AMD. I thinking they use the u suffix also for there low power cpu also. Max q designs run a little slow then the standard version because there power limited to fix into smaller form factor or for lower noise. That laptop would be find but the I5-9300HF doesn't have integrated graphic and probably won't have a good  battery life, though you won't have to deal with nvidia switchable graphics(it not bad though). Since you mention you outside the United states if would be worth mention you country so other people could help with get the best value also. The gtx 1650 even max q should easly be enough for asynchronous ubershaders with a 3x(1080p) upscaling also.

I'm in Italy, so any european store would be fine (apart from french ones because of the differenti kind of keyboard).
if i5 9300HF gives less autonomy i can probably find a i5 9300H version. However It turned out that this laptop has 2 drawbacks: single Channel Memory and lower CPU Power limit compared to competitors, but I don't know what kind of Impact this can have.
(06-24-2020, 09:21 PM)Retro-Gamer88 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm in Italy, so any european store would be fine (apart from french ones because of the differenti kind of keyboard).
if i5 9300HF gives less autonomy i can probably find a i5 9300H version. However It turned out that this laptop has 2 drawbacks: single Channel Memory and lower CPU Power limit compared to competitors, but I don't know what kind of Impact this can have.

Single Channel usually doesn´t mess up the Dolphin experience unless you´re using the integrated GPU and push the enhacements too far (or if the game is simply too demanding).
As I said the only disadvantage of of the i5 9300hf over the i5 9300 h is the integrated graphics. This might not even matter if the msi didn't use Optimus though in the graphic card range they usually do since there not usually use with high refresh rate or gsync displays. I run my laptop with single channel memory and dolphin doesn't care if the nvidia gtx 1070 is use. It been in single channel mean that memory upgrade will be less of a hassle, though performance might be impacted. As for power limit I don't know what is limited to or if it can be changed in the bios but when my laptop on battery it is cpu power limit to 35 watt over the standard 45 watt. In full core\threads load I lose about 13% of the performance but in program like dolphin it isn't that noticeable since it doesn't use nearly that much threads. My laptop use a i7 7700hq with a 2.8 base and 3.8 peak and is a 4 core 8 thread chip so you have a comparison. It run f zero with dual core off from my limited test around 150-250 percent if unlimited even on level that were known in the past to be more demanding. i usually have the dual core option on though and I never had problem with the game or most other games for the matter on the laptop.
Ok good to know that single Channel Is no issue. Glad that you did a test, It looks really promising. Now I definitely know what to look at and what to expect. About the dual core problems with this title, It used to reset/crash but that Is probably only a problem of older Dolphin versions. Some user reported It but Is unclear what version they used and wether they had the Sync GPU fix enabled or not.
Pages: 1 2