Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Fastmem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As far as I know, Yuzu doesn't use Fastmem. But the performance on a modern midrange pc seems to be really good when using Yuzu. This PR for Dynarmic: https://github.com/MerryMage/dynarmic/pull/528 adds Fastmem but it seems that the performance difference is not as big as with Dolphin. With Dolphin the difference I have seen between Fastmem and non-Fastmem can range between 1.5 and 4x.

I was wondering if this is because of the difference between Wii and Switch or if the implementation is different?

merry

dynarmic has multiple methods for memory access.

The simplest method is with callbacks on each memory read / write. This is what dolphin does when fastmem is disabled (± some optimisations around predictable addresses).

One thing that dynarmic does that dolphin does not is: Inlining page-table access code into emitted code. This is much faster than a function call.

Fastmem does not really as big of a speed improvement over inlined page-table access because it's a smaller reduction in codesize per emulated memory access.
I see, thanks for your answer. Is implementing inlined page-table in Dolphin possible? And would/could it make memory locking trivial performance wise?