Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unable to Run OpenGL Backend on Secondary Monitor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Jakstalgia

I've recently built a new PC and have ran into a weird issue with Dolphin's OpenGL backend.

What I've noticed is if a game is launched using the OpenGL backend on any other monitor besides my main, Dolphin will crash. This behavior isn't present on any other backend and was not an issue on my old PC.

I've tried multiple different versions of Dolphin/GPU drivers and am currently at a loss as to what could be causing this issue.

New PC Specs:
AMD Ryzen 3900x
Asus ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero
NVIDIA GTX 1070

Old PC Specs:
Intel i7-4790k
MSI Z97 PC MATE
NVIDIA GTX 1070

Both PCs used the same 3 monitor setup, but like I said OpenGL will crash Dolphin on the new PC unless the game opens on my main monitor. (Interesting side note, if I start the game on my main monitor and then move it to a secondary monitor it continues to play just fine. The crash only occurs when the game launches on a secondary monitor)

Let me know if there are any log files I can post that would assist in figuring this out.
I can't replicate it with my system specifically so it doesn't seem like general Dolphin problem. Assuming you're on Windows, have you tried a clean driver install using DDU?

Jakstalgia

(06-22-2020, 04:50 AM)KatIsntGood Wrote: [ -> ]I can't replicate it with my system specifically so it doesn't seem like general Dolphin problem. Assuming you're on Windows, have you tried a clean driver install using DDU?

I see, thanks for testing on your system! Yeah, I've tried a clean driver install a few times with DDU. Even tried reinstalling the drivers offline to make sure Windows Update wasn't messing anything up.

Could it be a CPU related issue? Never ran into this problem on my old Intel build. Only when I switched to an AMD/Ryzen build did this start happening.

Also, do you know if there are any log files I can generate that could help point me in the right direction? The only log file I could find under Dolphin Emulator > Logs is always empty.
(06-22-2020, 06:30 AM)Jakstalgia Wrote: [ -> ]Also, do you know if there are any log files I can generate that could help point me in the right direction? The only log file I could find under Dolphin Emulator > Logs is always empty.

You have to enable logs in Dolphin first (View => Sow Log Configuration) and choose the "Write to file" option...

Jakstalgia

(06-22-2020, 10:15 AM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]You have to enable logs in Dolphin first (View => Sow Log Configuration) and choose the "Write to file" option...

Thanks!

So in the log I got this:
28:29:127 VideoBackends\OGL\Render.cpp:763 W[Video]: Missing OGL Extensions: PinnedMemory 

28:29:156 VideoCommon\PostProcessing.cpp:75 E[Video]: Post-processing shader not found: C:\Program Files\Dolphin-x64/Sys/Shaders/(off).glsl

Seems I'm missing some files OpenGL needs to run?

Jakstalgia

Fixed it!

Apparently a Windows service called "Nahimic service" was causing the crashing. Doing a quick Google search, it appears to be an audio service that comes with some of ASUS's motherboards. Disabling it doesn't appear to have any negative side effects.

Hope this helps someone else who might be having this same issue.