Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Development version for Linux, Ubuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

jdinius

Any chance of getting the development version into Ubuntu software, or advice on how to get it? I know the stable version is there, but the game I'm trying to play has performance issues in that version. I have to use safe texture cache to avoid text corruption, but this causes massive slowdowns (not needed in latest dev release, I was playing there before switching from Windows to Ubuntu, game is Pokemon XD if that's helpful). I've tried building the dev version off of github but the result was very prone to crashing and proved nearly impossible to remove when I decided it was too broken for use. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I think that self-compiling is the intended way for Dolphin on Linux.

What do you mean with "impossible to remove"? If you just compiled it, just remove the folder. if you installed it as well; there should be an install_manifest.txt with all the files, so a `cat install_manifest.txt | xargs rm` should get rid of everything.
Did you try different versions of Dolphin? Maybe the version you tried to compile was broken somehow. I have never heard of self-compiled versions crashing more often than binaries compiled elsewhere.

jdinius

I should've made it clear, I am very new to Linux, and I would say the instructions on the GitHub page aren't very helpful to a novice, it doesn't even list required dependencies and the instructions are very vague. That's the only place I could find the latest beta version. I'm pretty sure I did something very wrong as every tutorial on removing built packages failed and I had to go into the root directory to remove it. I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing has no trouble, but I am at a loss. The dolphin website only has a Ubuntu download for 4.0, and the Ubuntu software suite has 5.0. I'd like to use 5.0-11991 as it worked very well for me on Windows. Again, any help, particularly pointing me to a self compiler, would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for the reply.
What version of Ubuntu are you running: 16, 17, 18, 19, or 20? Try running this command to make sure you're up to date: sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade --with-new-pkgs

When you rebuild Dolphin from source, it'll overwrite the old version when you're done. Otherwise if you want to remove it, it'll either be in whatever folder you compiled it in, or if you ran 'sudo make install' it is installed to '/usr/local/bin/' and will be called 'dolphin-emu'

The better instructions, with requirements, is found on the wiki here: https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t...n_on_Linux

The steps are a little easier to read in this thread: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-bu...n-on-linux edit: superseded by wiki update

This will get you the latest dev build. If you're having crashing problems with this version, please take screenshots of your Dolphin settings and upload them to an image hosting site (like Imgur) and link those photos here.
(06-18-2020, 10:00 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]The steps are a little easier to read in this thread: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-bu...n-on-linux

The building instructions from the wiki just got updated (literally), follow that instead. The thread you linked still cites some wxWidgets packages as dependencies so it's also outdated (it has been years since Dolphin replaced wxWidgets with Qt)
Hurray for wiki updates! At least wxWidgets is still in the Appendix A in case anyone needs to build 5.0 stable (which the general user shouldn't be doing anyway)

jdinius

Thanks for the help. I figured out what was causing my crashes. It was the dual core speedup, and synchronize gpu thread didn't help. As it turned out, I actually don't need it for my game to run well here. Also saw the wiki update, and it definitely explained things well.

emtilt

So is the PPA just unlikely to be updated for the dev branch for Ubuntu 20.04? It used to be pretty easy to update dolphin to relatively newish builds via a package manager on older versions of Ubuntu, but the PPA just doesn't have any builds for 20.04. Building from source is great and all, but it's really not even close to the ideal solution for an end user in the modern era with package managers and snaps and whatnot. I get that 5.0 is the "stable" release, but for Dolphin in particular, the stable releases are usually so out of date feature-wise that they are not the correct choice for the end user. Further, the PPA is still the suggested mode of installation in the documentation.
The PPA is unofficial and not maintained by us. Try pinging whoever is responsible for the PPA about Focal Fossa packages...

emtilt

(06-19-2020, 12:14 PM)mbc07 Wrote: [ -> ]The PPA is unofficial and not maintained by us. Try pinging whoever is responsible for the PPA about Focal Fossa packages...

Thanks for the info. I overlooked that it was unofficial, but have tried the email address associated with the PPA.